GE Requirements for UC Transfer

All University of California (UC) baccalaureate degrees include a set of general education (GE)/breadth requirements. Students may use coursework completed at a DAC to satisfy lower-division GE requirements prior to transferring to a UC campus.

All UC campuses recommend, though some majors require, that transfer students complete all or as many GE courses as possible while at a community college prior to transfer.

At DAC there are two ways to fulfill the GE requirements for UC transfer which include:

  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
  • UC Campus-Specific General Education-Breadth

    IGETC is a pattern of lower-division GE requirements that is accepted at all UC campuses. The entire IGETC pattern should be completed prior to transfer.  Students must complete specified courses in the following areas:

    • Area 1:  English Communication (10-14 quarter units)
    • Area 2:  Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning (4-5 quarter units)
    • Area 3:  Arts and Humanities (12-15 quarter units)
    • Area 4Social and Behavioral Sciences (12-15 quarter units)
    • Area 5:  Physical and Biological Sciences (9-12 quarter units)
    • Area 6:  Language Other Than English Proficiency (UC Requirement Only)

    Area 6:  Language Other Than English - LOTE (UC Requirement Only)
    Transfer students to the UC who intend to fully certify IGETC are required to demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English equal to two years of high school study. There are several methods DAC students may use to demonstrate proficiency for the purpose of fulfilling the LOTE requirement on IGETC.

    Completion of IGETC is not a minimum transfer admission requirement and does not guarantee admission to a UC major or UC campus. Keep in mind that some UC majors, campuses, and colleges/schools require additional course work beyond completion of IGETC to satisfy their GE requirements. Additionally, completion of IGETC may not be considered an acceptable means of satisfying all lower-division GE-Breadth requirements by some colleges or schools within a UC campus.

    IGETC is not recommended for every student planning to transfer to the UC. In general, IGETC is not the best GE option for students pursuing high unit majors (e.g. engineering or the biological, physical, and natural sciences) because these majors require extensive lower-division major preparation coursework to be completed. Instead, it is often more advantageous for such students to complete courses that fulfill major preparation requirements rather than complete IGETC.

    Information about majors at the UC that do and do not recommend IGETC is available on the University of California Transfer Admission website or through the Exploring Majors feature on the ASSIST website. 

    For students who decide to follow IGETC, it is strongly recommended that they complete IGETC prior to transfer and obtain full IGETC certification. However, if this is not possible, a partial certification may be issued by DAC. Students are responsible for determining the appropriateness of a partial certification and should consult with a DAC counselor or academic adviser. Partial certification is defined as completing all but one (1) or two (2) courses on the IGETC pattern. Once partially certified, it is the student’s responsibility to work with the counselor at the university to find out how to complete IGETC requirements. The UC is responsible for verifying that the missing IGETC course(s) has been completed and students should not request a full certification from DAC after transfer.

    A university or specific program may specify that full IGETC certification is required for admission (e.g. UC Berkeley's College of Letters & Science requires full IGETC certification as part of their selection criterion). Students should check on the conditions for admission outlined by the university or program.

  • UC Campus-Specific GE

    The UC campus GE/Breadth patterns for transfer students are the same as those for students who enroll at the UC as freshmen. Students who choose to follow UC campus-specific GE-Breadth requirements must complete courses that are listed on the GE/Breadth articulation agreements (available by UC campus) on

    When deciding which GE pattern to follow students should consider factors such as their intended major, the GE-Breadth requirements for the specific school or college within the UC campus, and any prior college coursework completed. As a transfer applicant, completion of lower-division GE requirements prior to transfer will often improve the chances for admission to a competitive major, campus, or program.

    Students who plan to fulfill the GE/Breadth requirements for a specific UC campus or college should confirm that the courses taken at DAC are listed on the GE/Breadth articulation agreements (available by UC campus) on

Reminder about GE Certification

Students must request that GE certification (either CSUGE or IGETC) be sent directly to the four-year transfer institution that they will be attending.  Upon enrolling in final required courses and receiving conditional admissions to the university, students may submit the General Education Certification Request Form to the DAC Admissions and Records Office.

For students planning to use AP, CLEP, and IB exam credit to satisfy CSUGE or IGETC requirements, all necessary documentation (i.e. transcripts, AP, CLEP, and IB scores) must be received and evaluated by DAC prior to a request for GE certification. The certification process may be delayed if transcripts/exams have not been previously and officially evaluated.

Only credit for Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams may be used to satisfy IGETC subject area requirements. Credit for College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) cannot be used on IGETC.

For students who do not have IGETC certified by De Anza College, each UC campus will determine how to apply credit from external exams toward major preparation or its local degree and GE/Breadth requirements. Consult the UC college catalog or UC campus website(s) to determine credit for AP and IB exams.

NOTE:  All AP or IB exam reports must be received and officially evaluated by De Anza College prior to a request for GE certification (see processes below).  The certification process may be delayed if exam reports have not been previously evaluated.

Advanced Placement (AP) - Official reports must be sent to the DAC Admissions and Records Office directly from The College Board in order to apply.

International Baccalaureate (IB) – Official reports must be sent to the DAC Admissions and Records Office directly from the International Baccalaureate Organization in order to apply.

DISCLAIMER: The final responsibility for successful transfer rests with the student.  The information posted on this website is designed to assist students in obtaining the most accurate transfer-related information possible.  However, this information is subject to change without notice, which may subsequently impact admission to a transfer college or university.

Students are encouraged to meet as early as possible in their academic careers and periodically with a DAC counselor or academic adviser to develop a Student Education Plan and with a transfer college or university admissions representative to confirm their choice of classes.

Back to Top