Four easy steps

De Anza College is no longer using placement tests as the primary method of assessing students for their knowledge and understanding of certain subjects.

Thanks to changes in state law and a new policy at De Anza, the college will assess most students on the basis of their U.S. high school GPA and transcripts. In some cases, the college may look at other information, including test results, to help match students with the right courses to help them succeed.

Based on your assessment, we'll let you know which course sequences is best for you, in these subjects:

Here are the four steps to complete the assessment process.

Complete the Assessment Form

We may already have received your high school transcript. But to be sure, please download the Student Assessment form, fill it out and return it to the Assessment Center in person or by email:

Check Your Email

Watch your inbox for an email containing information on what to do next.

  • The email will tell you how to check MyPortal for information about which classes you are eligible to take.
  • Some students will still need to take a placement test. If this applies to you, you will see a notification when you check MyPortal.
  • After you check your placement on MyPortal, you have the option of signing up for a placement test to see if you can qualify for a higher-level class.

Complete Orientation

Be sure to complete Orientation and consult with a counselor so you can be sure about which Math, English or English as a Second Language classes are required for your educational goal.

Register for Class!

See the Steps to Register webpage for more information.