State Budget Update - March 1, 2011
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:07 PM
Subject: March 1 Budget Update
I thought I’d provide a brief update on the state budget situation. While many of these issues were effectively resolved prior to the start of Conference Committee, the committee recently took some formal actions on the CCC budget, as follows:
• Approved the “decoupling” reduction to the Student Financial Aid Support Categorical item ($2.9M cut)
• Approved the $400M base cut as a workload reduction (no change to the census process)
• Rejected the Governor’s proposal to require the system to grow at the same time we’re absorbing cuts
• Approved an increase of fees from $26 to $36 per unit
• Shifted the increase in fee revenue to base apportionments to mitigate the $400M cut (so, the effective cut is $290M)
• Rejected the proposed capital outlay projects for now (affecting projects in SFCCD, Coast CCD, and Santa Clarita CCD) – these projects will be reconsidered in the spring.
We’re still awaiting action on funding for reimbursable state mandates, and, of course, on whether or not Governor Brown’s revenue package will make the ballot. The other big ticket policy items remaining for consideration include the level of reduction for state-subsidized child care, the Governor’s realignment proposal, and the treatment of Redevelopment Agencies. Depending on whom you speak to, the deadline for placing revenues on the June ballot varies between March 11th and March 14th, so I would not expect resolution until we’re nearer to those dates.
I’ll attempt to keep you updated on developments as they happen. If you use twitter, I also provide updates at the @CCCBudgetNews account. Of course, you should feel free to call or email me with any questions.
Vice Chancellor for Fiscal Policy
Chancellor’s Office of the California Community Colleges