Disability Information Student Handbook

Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations
Academic and Classroom Accommodations & Services

Academic Adjustments And Course Substitution

Students with disabilities are expected to meet the same academic standards as other students. Accommodations and the extensive support services available to all students contribute to the success of students with disabilities in completing course requirements and curriculum plans.

Academic Adjustments

Occasionally, an otherwise qualified student with a disability may need to request a modification in a time line, course assignments, or program requirements. This may happen in spite of having employed all appropriate accommodations and support services. Examples of modifications include:

  • Flexibility in applying the absence policy in a course, or
  • Completing a representative sample of assigned homework problems in homework.

Course Substitutions

In exceptional circumstances, a student may succeed in completing all but one of the courses required for a certificate, degree, or transfer.  After all measures to accommodate have been utilized, if the effect of the disability prevents the student from completing that one requirement, a course substitution may be considered. 

Such a situation is evaluated carefully so the recommendation does not jeopardize the integrity of the individual’s achievement or preparation. Any such substitution would be applicable only to De Anza College requirements and may not be accepted by transfer institutions.  The policy and process  is outlined in the Academic Senate Policy, June 13, 1994 as reproduced in District/College Policies at http://www.deanza.edu/dsps/policy.html or request a copy from your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.

Maintaining academic standards and assuring equal opportunity are both essential objectives. Each situation is individually evaluated. The DSPS programs will work collaboratively with the student and the college to safeguard student access and curricular integrity.

Steps to Request an Academic Adjustment or Substitution/Waiver:
  1. Consult with your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist about possible problem-solving approaches.
  2. You may be asked to fill out an Accommodation Request Form, or other necessary paperwork.
  3. Follow the college procedure, as advised by your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist.


DISH Building:

Last Updated: 11/1/16