Section Four: Success Strategies
Tips From Successful Students
Here are some proven techniques to boost your success:
- Keep a good scheduling system.
- Choose one calendar system—weekly, monthly, day-at-a-time, or a PDA.
- Personalize it, make it colorful, but most of all, keep all your appointments, deadlines, etc. on it.
- Break long-term projects into parts and set a timeline, starting with the due date and working backwards. Focus on achieving these mini-deadlines.
- Dedicate yourself to your job as a student.
- Attend every class. Studies clearly show attendance is highly correlated with performance.
- Sit where you can pay maximum attention.
- Learn and use a note taking system that works for you.
- Schedule daily review and study time, about 1-2 hours for each academic class.
- Know where you stand in classes.
- Review assignments and tests that are returned to you, for accuracy and to learn from your mistakes.
- Track your own progress and know what your approximate grade is at all times.
- Check your grade in each class before the drop deadlines.
- Understand what you need to do.
- Team up with a classmate to double-check and study with.
- Use your instructors’ office hours, or e-mail to clarify assignments and ask questions.
- If you are stumped, use tutoring, counseling or other resources to get “unstuck.”
- Get help BEFORE you are too frustrated.
- Don’t give up.