In the Event of a Chemical Spill
- Any campus spillage of a dangerous chemical or radioactive material must be reported immediately to the Police at 9-1-1.
- When reporting, be specific about the nature of the materials involved and the location. The Police will contact the necessary authorities and medical personnel.
- Vacate the immediate area at once and seal it off to prevent contamination of others. DO NOT lock the doors. Then evacuate the building quickly by walking to the nearest exit, alerting people as you go. Assist the disabled in exiting the building (see Assisting Students with Disabilities guidelines).
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 150 feet away from the affected building. Keep walkways clear for emergency vehicles.
- Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity, and give their names to Emergency Responders/college staff. Required first aid and cleanup by authorities should be started at once.
- To the best of your ability, and without re-entering the building, assist Emergency Responders/college staff in their attempts to determine that everyone has evacuated safely.
- DO NOT return to a building until told to do so.
- If a campus wide evacuation notice is given, evacuate the campus as per instructions in the Evacuation Procedures guidelines.