Music 1C test 1 Preparation guidelines
Chapters 1, 2, Part of 3, 12. Chapter 10, Sub-Saharan Africa will not be included on this test.
There will be three listening examples. Be prepared to identify the genre, and some of the important concepts associated with the music. I know that most of you are not musicians, and will not expect any sort of advanced analysis. The information I will expect will be limited to what is included in the reading and Aural Analysis for each example.
This test will include material from lectures, reading, group activities, and recordings. Be sure to pay attention to words in bold, or italics.
Concepts and possible short essay questions include:
•Why labels of popular, classical and folk music are problemmatic
•What is music? Is it the “universal language?” Why or why not?
Chapter 2: Aural Analysis
•melodic contour (identify various types)
•Text: syllabic vs melismatic
•meter: identify various meter types
Phonic structure: monophony, homophony, polyphony, etc.
Form: small and larger structural organization (phrase versus verse, refrain, strophic, etc) Mostly lecture material.
Music and Identity - cultural conditioning
Sachs-Hornbostel instrument classification - identify instruments by category, and sub category from images
Chapter 12: be sure to read about indigenous migration patterns, civilizations
know the instruments of each “Site” that we visited.
Chapter 12 essay questions. Prepare these in advance:
- What are the three cultural strains of South America and Mexico? How does geographic location cause the “mix” of influences to be weaker or stronger?
- How does siku playing express the values of the community? How do the instruments themselves do this?
- How did tango evolve into the art that it has become? What are some of its major elements?
How are some of the major figures in tango music and dance?
- What are some of the major influences that contributed to samba? How have social,
religious and political influences contributed to its evolution, particularly as it
is express in carnaval?
- How is capoeira an expression of the legacy of slavery in Brazil?
- What is distinctive about mariachi music? What are some of the contexts where this music is heard nowadays?