ICS 7 / Spch 7 Intercultural Communication - On Campus Sections
In the on-campus sections, students will meet in the classroom four times a week (mornings) or two times a week (afternoons).
No text book
Course Packets (CPs) will be available for purchase the first week of classes.
They are not sold through Bookstore.
CP w/ Readings: Costs around $40. Includes course readings & materials for in-class activities and assignments.
CP no Readings: Costs around $12. Does not include Readings. Readings should be downloaded from course website (optional).
Url for course website will be announced at 1st class meeting. Adding student should be able to access course site 2-3 days after adding the class.
In class activities:
- Small group and whole class discussions, including discussions of assigned topics prepared ahead of time
- Lectures on course topics, with illustrations and informal discussions
- Video analysis
- Presentations in student pairs (including skits and Q&A with class).
- Skills practice, including...
- Different discussion styles
- Interacting with people who are not yet fluent in English
- Culture-specific nonverbal behaviors
- Conflict strategies in different cultures
- Coaching others to behave appropriately in your culture
Outside of class:
- Read Unit readings in CP or online.
- Prepare presentation with fellow student
- Write short papers summarizing your personal reactions to issues in intercultural communication.
- Study for Midterm and Final
For information about course content, see "Welcome" page (link to left)
Small group and whole class discussions, including prepared discussions of assigned topics prepared ahead of time
Presentations in student pairs (including skits and Q&A with class).
Skills practice, including...
- different discussion styles
- interacting with people who are not yet fluent in English
- culture-specific nonverbal behaviors
- conflict strategies in different cultures
- coaching others to behave appropriately in your culture