ES -070.-62Z, Call# 2614
Instructor: Steve Murphy
Fall 2002, 1.0 Unit
De Anza College Distance Learning Center
Office Location: LCW-102
Phone: 408-864-8969 • FAX: 408-864-8245
Office Hours: M-Th, 8:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Fri: 8:30 a.m.-12 noon
This new live video conference class is an overview of the topic of Energy Management and its importance in today’s society, including future implications, and discussion of careers and impact on modern culture and society. This module introduces the subject of reliability of today’s energy systems and related operational and conservation issues.
ON-LINE CLASS FOLDER
Eligibility for English 100A; Reading 201; ESL 161-163 is advised.
INSTRUCTOR INFORMATION: Steve Murphy
Office Hours: 5:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
Days/Hours: Tuesday evening prior to class
Phone/Voicemail: (408) 395-6299
FAX Telephone(s): (408) 864-8245, (408) 864-5546
Office Location: LCW 26
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be prepared to spend six hours per week attending class and using and studying the course materials.
Complete activities associated with supplemental lab activity.
Complete and turn in Class Journal/Notes as assigned.
After completing the reading assignments and participating in the video programs, you should be able to:
The course materials for off-campus students will be at: www.deanza.fhda.edu/faculty/murphy/es70/
class folder/website location or mailed to each individual broadcast site.
on-campus students, at the De Anza College Bookstore:
class folder/website location www.deanza.fhda.edu/faculty/murphy/es70 or distributed in class.
MEDIA COMPONENTS AND AVAILABILITY
Three, three-hour Introduction to Energy Management Technology video programs.
Viewing Options for Introduction to Energy Management video programs.
1. AT&T subscribers may view the class live on CCN1.
2. A videotape of the class may be made for later viewing.
3. On-site (De Anza) Students check out tapes from the Open Media Lab to view overnight at home. .
• SMART DASB Card required. The Smart Card Office is located in the lobby of the Administration building (408-864-5551).
• DLC ID Card required (available at the De Anza College Distance Learning Center, LCW-102).
• One tape at a time may be checked out for 3 days.
• Return tapes to Open Media Lab or in the drop box outside of Learning Center West (please report any videotape technical problems).
• Late fines: $2.00/day (maximum fine-$25.00); replacement/lost tape charge: $50.00/tape.
STUDY EACH WEEK'S ASSIGNMENTS
The course content comes from the videoclasses and assigned readings. Your activities will be from both the readings and video programs . If, for any reason, you miss watching a video program during the assigned week, you should still keep current with your reading assignments.
Work on the lessons in the following order:
COMPLETE THE WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS
1. Homework Assignments: There is 1 homework assignment and a final “Energy Research Activity”. Student “Class Journals/Folders” also need to be turned in for credit. The due dates for each assignment are listed in your lecture schedule.
2. Lab Activity: Your lab is scheduled (Association of Energy Engineers joint meeting; Oct 24th @ 6 PM).
and attach the cover sheet on the last page of this syllabus]:
Graded homework is returned to on-campus students to the DL Center about 7–10 days after its due date. Please present your DASB Photo ID to the Distance Learning Center staff to retrieve your work. Off-campus students send a self-addressed envelope along with you assignment and your homework will be returned.
TESTING AND GRADING
Final Grading and Point Breakdown:
GRADING SCHEDULE Class attendance/participation
90 – 100% Homework 1 (50 ea)
80 – 89% Lab Activity Report
70 – 79% Class Journal/Folder
60 – 69% Final Presentation/Report
59% & below Total Points
Policy on Copying and Cheating
Students who submit the work of others as their own or cheat on exams or other assignments receive a failing grade in the course and are reported to college authorities.
You may access your final grades through the Star System at 408-777-9394 or 650-917-0509 or the Internet at https://regserv.fhda.edu/da-grades.html.
Distance Learning Center Homework Cover Sheet
Please make a copy of this cover sheet and attach it to all assignments that you turn in or fax to the Distance Learning Center.
[Return to top of page]