This 12-week course covers a broad range of topics in biology:
- The chemistry of life: atoms to macromolecules
- Cells and organelles
- Cell division and what happens when cell division "goes bad"
- Genetics and genetic diseases
- Molecular biology, DNA, SNPs, and stem cell research
- Overpopulation and human reproduction
- Ecology; learn what your own ecological footprint is
- Global warming
You will be encouraged to work together in lab, form study groups and challenge each other. I hope you'll discover that biology is both interesting and fun!
- Recommended textbook: Campbell Essential Biology by Simon, Reece and Dickey. 4th or 5th edition.
- Biology 10 Lab Activities by Ann Reisenauer - purchase at the bookstore
- 1 package of 3x5 index cards
The Syllabus, class calendar, lecture slides, and assignments are posted on the De Anza Catalyst website.
Please note: only students enrolled in my course will be able to access this material.