Financial Aid Bldg

Financial Aid

What Happens After FAFSA?

Check your MyPortal: If you are planning to attend De Anza College, please be sure to check your MyPortal account for updates on verification documents or forms you may need to submit to us for  Financial Aid file completion.

I've Applied; Now What?

What is the Student Aid Report (SAR)?

  • The SAR, or Student Aid Report, contains a summary of the information you provided on your FAFSA.
  • It also lists your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is the number used to determine your eligibility for financial aid. Your EFC will appear in the upper right-hand portion of your SAR.
  • If the SAR does not provide an EFC, you application is missing key data needed to calculate the EFC, such as tax information or student/parent's signature. Read your SAR carefully or see MyPortal or required documents.  Make required corrections on, or bring in all documentation to the FAO for assistance. 
  • The U.S. Department of Education sends this report to all the schools you list on your FAFSA. Make sure you list the De Anza College Federal School Code of 004480.
  • You can search for Financial Aid Federal School Codes for other colleges and universities at

When will I receive the SAR?

  • You should receive your SAR from the U.S. Department of Education within several days of electronically filing your FAFSA, or four weeks if you mail it.
  • If you file online and provide your e-mail address, you will usually receive your e-SAR within 72 hours, provided you and your parent's have electronically signed (with an FSAID) the application at the time you applied.
  • If you have not received the SAR within two to four weeks after applying, you can check on the status of your application by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center (1-800-4FEDAID). 

What should I do with it?

  • You must review your Student Aid Report carefully to make sure all information is correct and complete.
  • Be sure to carefully read the SAR for guidance on what you may have to do for follow up on your financial aid application, or to resolve any identified problems.
  • If it is correct, you can keep your SAR.
  • If your SAR is incorrect, obtain, complete and submit all requested follow-up documents to the Financial Aid Office within two (2) weeks of the school receiving your electronic application.
  • The student is ultimately responsible that all information is correct. Remember, you and your parents signed the certification statement on your original application stating that all information is true and correct!

How do I make corrections?

  • If you need to make corrections, you may do so through the FAFSA on the Web site, even if you did not apply online. It is fast, easy and free!
  • Submit corrections to incorrect SAR information with any other requested documents to the Financial Aid Office, so we can review other data and submit all corrections at one time.
  • If the information on the SAR is correct, but no longer reflects your current family situation, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your special circumstances. We may be able to adjust the data elements on your application and re-assess your eligibility through a process called Special Circumstances.

When should I submit my corrected SAR?

  • Submit all your corrections as soon as possible. The financial aid process takes eight to twelve weeks depending on the time of year, type of aid desired, and your promptness to requests by our office.
  • You may turn in your corrected, signed SAR to our Financial Aid Office. The experience of the Financial Aid Office staff may result in more accurate review and corrections submitted. However, submitting your corrections online yourself may speed up the financial aid process, especially during very busy times in the office.

Signature Page

  • You may bring your signature page to the De Anza Financial Aid Office to expedite the signature process.  We need original signatures and your Campus Wide ID to process the signature page.

What is Verification?

  • Verification is a process, initiated by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Financial Aid office, requiring you to verify the information that you provided on the FAFSA. You are required to submit Federal IRS tax transcripts and other documents to the Financial Aid Office.
  • If your application is selected for verification, you will not be eligible to receive federal or state aid until this process is completed.
  • Financial aid applicants at De Anza College are selected for verification for a number of reasons:
    • Randomly 30% of students are selected  by the Department of Education for verification.
    • Discrepancies on application, as determined by the Department of Education and/or the Financial Aid Office.
    • Substantial differences in data submitted from prior years.

What do I need to submit if my application is selected for verification?

  • All documents/forms are available for you to view on the MyPortal account under "Financial Aid" tab in the "unsatisfied requirements" section. 
  • If you or your parents did not use the IRS Data Retrieval process, then you must request a Federal Tax Transcript from the IRS. 
  • A completed Verification Worksheet (Independent or Dependent, as the case may be).
  • Other supporting documents may be requested, and may require students obtaining documentation from local, state, or federal agencies. Examples of data which may require verification are:
    • A copy of all W-2's associated with your income tax form
    • A letter of non-filing from the IRS
    • Child support
    • Birth Certificate(s)
    • Divorce/Separation
    • Social Security Card (must have correct, current name)
    • Emancipation
    • Ward of the Court
    • Unemployment

When do I need to submit the documents requested?

  • To avoid unnecessary delays, please submit all required documents as soon as possible. Files are reviewed and processed in the order received, and during times of heavy student traffic, processing may be greatly delayed due to increased workload.
  • Be sure that you have filled out the Verification Worksheet completely, and that all documents are signed by the appropriate parties.
  • Documents with blanks and missing signatures will not be reviewed and may be returned!

What happens next?

  • When the Financial Aid Office receives your completed Verification Worksheet and tax transcripts, we compare the information on these documents to the information you provided on your original FAFSA.
  • If information from documents you submit conflicts with your FAFSA, we may require additional information to clear up the discrepancy.
  • The Financial Aid Office will contact you by email to request additional information. However, you may always check your financial aid file status on the MyPortal! This method allows you to respond faster, if needed.
  • Responding quickly to any requests for additional information will help avoid further delays.
  • In some cases, the changes made during verification require resubmission of data to the U.S. Department of Education. If these changes affect your eligibility for assistance, you will receive a revised Student Aid Report.

Aid from most financial aid programs is awarded on the basis of financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford Loans).

How is my financial need determined?

  • When you apply for federal student aid, the information you report on the FAFSA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
  • Your EFC number can be found on your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • The formula used to calculate your EFC is established by federal law and is used to measure your family's financial strength based on their income and assets.
  • The EFC is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state aid.
  • Your financial need is determined using this formula:

Cost of Attendance-EFC = Financial Need

Can my financial need be adjusted?

  • The Financial Aid Office may adjust data used to calculate your EFC or adjust your cost of attendance if your family's financial circumstances warrant it based on the documentation you provide.
  • Special circumstances

When am I eligible for need-based financial aid?

  • You may be eligible for need-based financial aid when your EFC is less than the costs of attending De Anza College. The lower your EFC, the greater your eligibility for financial aid, or the greater your ?need?. However, types of available aid vary depending on time of year you apply.
  • As state and federal funds are limited, the total amount awarded to you might fall short of the amount you're eligible for.
  • To insure maximum reward, make sure you apply early: no sooner than January 1 but before the March 2nd deadline.   Applying later may delay the notification of your financial aid award and total award amount as some programs are limited in funding.

Your MyPortal allows students to view:

  • Unsatisfied Requirements-forms and verification documents the office needs to complete your Financial Aid.

  • Your Financial Aid Award-you may view your Financial Aid Award.

  • Your Satisfactory Academic Progress

When should I provide the missing documents?

  • Deliver all completed supporting documents in one packet to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. We cannot complete your file review with only some of your documents; therefore, your file will not be reviewed until we receive all required documents.
  • After reviewing these supporting documents, other essential documents or information may be requested in order to obtain a complete view of the student's circumstances. (Thus, new information may be requested after initial review.)
  • The verification review will not be finished until essential documents or information is provided by the student (and parent, if applicable), and the Financial Aid Office has completed the review process.
  • Check your MyPortal regularly for an update on your application process and need for submitting additional information.
  • Note: Because the application process may take weeks, it is important to apply as soon as possible. Some grant funds are limited and disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis. The earlier your application is complete, the more financial awards you can be eligible for.

What happens next?

  • Once the verification review is finished, you will be able to view your Financial Aid Award online via your MyPortal.
  • The Award Letter details all types of financial aid and amounts for which you are eligible, for the entire school year. The amounts for cost of attendance and awards are always shown based on full-time enrollment status. The amount you may receive will depend on your enrollment status, and therefore will be prorated if your enrollment is less than full-time.
  • You may not receive aid in excess of your cost of attendance (including both need-based and non need-based).
  • Cost of attendance and financial aid awards are always presented assuming student will be enrolled full time (12 units during any quarter of attendance). If a student is enrolled less than half time all terms enrolled at De Anza, his/her budget will be adjusted to reflect this based on Federal law.
  • The information found on your Award Letter is also available at your MyPortal.

How do I accept my award?

  • You do not have to return the Award Letter to the Financial Aid Office.
  • If you do not want to accept a certain award, you may decline the award on your MyPortal. If you wish to reduce a dollar amount, you must submit a Revision Request at the Financial Aid Office.

Do I need to remain a full-time student to accept my award?

  • No! If you are enrolled less than full-time (i.e. less than 12 units per quarter), you will receive a prorated grant that is proportionately less than the amount that would be received as a full-time student.
  • If your plans have changed and you no longer plan on attending De Anza during a quarter or academic year, please contact our office in writing to cancel aid. This step is especially important if you are attempting to obtain financial aid from another school

What do the Award/Fund Messages mean?

There are many different financial aid awards available to eligible students. Depending on your situation, your award letter may list one or more types of aid offered. Please see the De Anza Financial Aid Programs page for specific information regarding your awards.

The Financial Aid Office understands that your (or your family's if you are dependent) financial situation may change due to unpredictable circumstances, and that your ability to pay for your education may be affected. Please contact De Anza College Financial Aid Office to discuss any special circumstances you may have.

Based on the information you provide (along with supporting documentation), your financial aid eligibility may be recalculated.

What are examples of special circumstances?

  • Income reduction or nonrecurring income (loss or reduction of employment or  benefits: disability, unemployment, or social security).
  • Changes in family circumstances (divorce/separation/death of spouse).
  • Unusual debts.
  • Special medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance, in excess of the 11% of the family's income which is already taken into account by the federal needs analysis formula when determining your financial aid eligibility.
  • Tuition/fees expenses at a private elementary or secondary school for dependent (s).
  • Adult care costs.

For more information please see the De Anza Professional Judgment Page.

Do I need to maintain a certain G.P.A. to keep receiving my award funds?

  • Yes! You must meet academic eligibility requirements in order to qualify and receive financial aid. You are responsible for making sure that you are aware of the academic requirements to maintain eligibility for financial aid.
  • Minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress, or SAP, includes three things:
  1. Successfully complete at least 67% of the units attempted each term.
  2. Maintain a minimum 2.0 quarterly and cumulative Grade Point Average.
  3. Complete program of study within 150% of published program length, measured in attempted units. (Example: a maximum of 120 attempted quarter units are allowed to complete an Associate or Transfer program of 90 required units. Beyond the 120 units, a student becomes ineligible for further financial aid.)
  • If you fail to meet minimum SAP standards, you may be funded for one probationary term (on warning status), or suspended from receiving financial aid. If funded while on warning status, you must meet SAP for continued funding consideration.

Financial Aid
Baldwin Winery


Last Updated: 4/28/17