Meeting Notes - June 15, 2011
1) Approve Notes from May 18, 2011
2) Various Technology Questions.
Here are questions from the Language Arts faculty about smart classrooms and technology for discussion at our next meeting. Beth Grobman.
1) How soon will all of the Language Arts classrooms be smart classrooms?
L-quad rooms are in top 15 of the priority list. L3, 6, 7 early July. Summer L31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 75. Summer break L62, 63, 64, 65. Fall L43, 82, 83.
2) How soon will all campus classrooms be smart classrooms?
3) What is the priority list of building smart classrooms?
4) Is there anything we can do to speed up the process? (Some instructors say that if it takes, say, a week or two to install, they'd be willing to hold classes outside during that period).
5) If money from Measure C is available to build the classrooms, why can't more be completed when classes aren't in session in late August and early September? If it is because of district staffing, can we hire an outside vendor to come in to install them between summer and fall sessions?
6) Is it possible for faculty who generally use specific classrooms to have input into design of those classrooms, so they can explain their needs? If possible, to whom/how should we communicate this?
7) Does everyone responsible for smart classrooms know how very desperate Language Arts instructors are for smart classrooms?
8) What is the maintenance process for smart classrooms?
Questions about other technology issues:
1) Can classrooms that now have just blackboards be updated to have whiteboards while they are waiting to be smart classrooms?
2) What kind of orientation process is there for distance learning students? Is it required? Can we have input? How?
3) How do new faculty members get Web pages and help with creating them?
4) How can faculty members who are less-abled, weak or elderly get help to haul their (self-purchased) computers, projectors, speakers, cords to the classrooms and set up?
5) Can Catalyst be improved to give students reliable information about their current level of performance before grade day?
6) The SLO website has idiosyncrasies -- where can these be reported and would they be fixed if reported?
7) How do we get access to online grades/email addresses of former students prior to the Banner system -- the records that were on the old Portal system? They appear to be lost and there was no notification of how we can find them. Or are they gone?
8) What is the process to get trained (or better trained) on Banner?
3) Review this Year's Work & Plan Next Year's Agendas
4) Quick News
Membership for AY11/12. Members should advise their intention to serve by either emailing or attending the first meeting of the AY 2011-12.
Present: Dolen, Englen, Grobman, Hein, Hui, Kahn, Kaur, Lilly, Luciw, Metcalf, Mitchell, Oswenski, Pena-Ferick, Qian, Shannakian, Stasio. Notes: Gibson
Technology Task Force
Building: ADM 153
Contact: Vanessa Smith