Group of diverse students

back to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

General Procedures

  • Do I have a De Anza student ID number?

Yes. You will find your De Anza ID number on the upper right hand corner of your admission letter.

  • I have received De Anza's admission packet with my I-20.  What is my next step?

Be sure to read through all of the material that was sent to you in the admission packet. The next step would be for you to pay for the SEVIS fee and apply/schedule for your F-1 visa interview.

  • I'm transferring from another school in the U.S.  Do I have to pay the SEVIS fee again?

No. Transfer students from another U.S. school do not need to pay for another SEVIS fee.

  • When can I enter the US?

New students coming from abroad can only enter the U.S. 30 days or less before the reporting date indicated on the I-20.

  • When do I submit the health verification form?

This form is very important and MUST be returned to our office at time of your orientation or as soon as you arrive in the U.S.  Please read the form carefully and follow the instructions. If you are not able to obtain these immunizations and TB test results from your home country, you can take them at the De Anza Health Center.

  • After I am admitted can I get my original school diploma/transcripts back?

If your diploma is in a rare format that is not easily replaceable from your school in your home country, please come into the ISP office so that we will determine if we can return such document to you.

  • Am I allowed to work while studying at De Anza?

Information on employment will be presented to you at orientation. In brief, international students on F-1 visas may work on campus up to a maximum of 19 hours per week. There is not a centralized location on the De Anza campus to advertise jobs. Students need to visit the various offices/departments and inquire if hiring is available. The Bookstore, Cafeteria and tutorial center are among the offices that hire student assistants.

back to top

Credits/Transcript Evaluation

  • After I am admitted can I get my original school diploma/transcripts back?

If your diploma is in a rare format that is not easily replaceable from your school in your home country, please come into the ISP office so that we will determine if we can return such document to you.

  • I have attended a college/university outside of the U.S.  Can my foreign classes count towards my classes or degree at De Anza?

De Anza does not evaluate foreign transcripts or credentials. Please discuss the evaluation process of foreign transcripts with an academic counselor during orientation or your first quarter at De Anza.

  • I have taken college/university classes in the U.S. How can I get my transcripts evaluated?

Meet with counselors during your first quarter, and they will help you forward your transcripts to our Admission & Records office for an evaluation.

back to top

Orientation/Placement Testing

  • Do I have to attend the new student orientation program?

Yes. The Orientation Program is very comprehensive and covers information on:
Placement tests
Class registration
Health Insurance
On Campus/off campus safety
Social Security/ID cards

  • Why is the orientation held about a month before classes start?

Course registration usually begins a month before classes start. Orientation is held at this time to make sure students take the math and English placement tests and receive test scores in time for registration. Students will also enroll in a one unit Counseling 50 (Introduction to College) class during orientation to discuss major, course selection, and learn about the US education system.  If you miss orientation and arrive late, we cannot guarantee that you will have an opportunity to meet with an academic counselor before your first quarter registration. Besides, many of the classes you want may already be full. It is very likely that you will have trouble finding open classes to satisfy the 12-unit minimum enrollment requirement to maintain your valid F-1 status.

  • I'm a transfer student from another U.S. school.  Do I still need to attend orientation?

Yes. Each school in the U.S. has its own policies, if you want to start your first quarter at De Anza successfully, it is in your best interest to attend the new student Orientation Program.

  • Can my parents attend the orientation?

Yes. Parents are welcome to attend the orientation, subject to seating availability.

  • I have already taken the placement tests.  Do I still need to come to orientation?

Yes. We will give you a lot more information about registration and assign you to a Counseling 50 class, so you must attend the Orientation Program.

  • I have already taken Math and English classes in another U.S. school.  Do I still need to take the placement tests?

If you are transferring from U.S. community college or university with transferable credits in college level English and/or Mathematics coursework, please read and follow thoroughly the directions here to gain prerequisite clearance so that you can continue with your studies and not be blocked from courses. You must submit all documentation as described in the above website at least 3 weeks before you can register.

  • I already have a place to stay so I don't need housing information.  Do I still need to come to orientation?

On the first day of orientation, you will be given the agenda for the entire time of the orientation. You can choose not to come during the housing workshop, but you must attend the rest of the program.

back to top


  • Does De Anza College have a dormitory?

No. Like most community colleges, De Anza does not have a dormitory on campus and does not directly arrange housing for students.

  • Do you have a homestay program?

Our office works with a local homestay program called International Student Placements (ISP).
Please view the information on their website or contact the director of the program Ms. Jean Ikeda as follows:
Phone: 650.947.8879
Fax: 650.948.1105

You can live with a family or share a house with other students. Read and complete their application from their website if interested.

NOTE: ISP (International Student Placements) is not the same as De Anza ISP (International Student Programs) office. Be sure to contact the ISP Homestay  Program if you have any questions regarding living with a host family.

  • I would like to rent an apartment.  What is the rental process.  How much does it cost?

Apartments in the area are expensive. A 1-bedroom apartment could easily be priced in the $1,800-$2,500 range per month. You must be 18 years old or older to rent an apartment and you should carefully review the contract terms before signing. Students often choose to share a room in a house or apartment order to reduce costs.

  • Can I pay rent in cash?

Never! Always use a bank check, money order as a proof of payment.

  • Can I rent an apartment from overseas?

You should not! It's important for students to see the place first. Do not sign any contract/lease before understanding all of the rules/policies of renting an apartment or room.

back to top


  • Can I apply for financial aid?

No. F-1 visa students cannot apply for financial aid; however, they are eligible to apply for scholarships once they enroll in classes at De Anza College, but not before becoming a student.

  • When are the tuition and health insurance fees due?

International students on the F-1 visa are given until the 2nd Friday of every quarter to pay for their fees. However, we strongly recommend students pay as soon as they register for classes. Students registering for summer classes must pay immediately.

  • Do you have scholarships for international students?

F-1 visa students are eligible to apply for scholarships once they enroll in classes at De Anza College, but not before becoming a student. Scholarships information can be found here.

  • Am I considered a California resident if I have lived in California for a year or more?

No. International students on the F-1 visa are never considered resident, no matter how long they live in the state.

NOTE: If your status has changed to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, please go to the Admissions & Records office in the Registration & Student Services Building.

back to top

Health Insurance

  • I was charged for health insurance after I registered for classes.  Do I have to pay for health insurance?

Yes. All F-1 international students enrolled at De Anza colleges are required to purchase and subscribe to the health insurance selected by the Foothill-De Anza district. The health insurance fee is automatically added to the student’s account every quarter upon class registration.

  • I have my own health insurance.  Do I still need to pay for the Foothill-De Anza district health insurance?

Yes. It is mandatory that all F-1 visa international students purchase the health insurance selected by the Foothill-De Anza district.

  • Can I waive the health insurance fee?

Only if you meet the requirements as described in the Health Insurance Waiver Form.

back to top

Social Security Number

  • I want a social security number.  How can I get one?

We will offer a workshop on how to get a social security number at orientation. In brief, you do not qualify for a social security card unless you have a written offer of on-campus work.

  • I want to get a California Driver's License but the DMV said I need a social security number.  What should I do?

We will offer a workshop on How to get a Driver's License at orientation. You do not need a social security number to get a California Driver’s License. Don’t miss the Orientation Program for additional information.

  • Do I need a social security number to open a bank account?

No. At orientation, we will give you the names of local, well-known banks that will give you an account without a social security number.

back to top

International Student Programs
De Anza College
21250 Stevens Creek BLVD
Cupertino, CA 95014
Tel. (408) 864-8826
Fax. (408) 864-5638

Last Updated: 2/6/17