Funding Our Future:
A Student Budget Dialogue with Legislators
Thursday, April 19, 2012
De Anza College Campus Center, Conference Rooms A&B
Join California Assemblymember Jim Beall (24th District), a panel of his legislative colleagues and student representatives from community colleges across the Bay Area for a student-focused conversation on the impacts of ongoing budget cuts on higher education.
Come share your personal experiences with members of the area delegation. Educate your assemblymembers by telling your story about the impact of ongoing state budget reductions.
Student panelists and topics will include
- Emily Kinner, De Anza College: Cal Grants/other financial aid; state Student Success Task Force recommendations and consequences
- Shaila Ramos, De Anza College: undocumented students
- Tim Avila, Gavilan College: CalWORKS
- Rich Copenhagen, Peralta Community College District: program cuts
- Kevin Feliciano, Ohlone College: course reductions
In addition to Beall, confirmed legislator panelists to date include
- Assemblymember Paul Fong, 22nd District
- Assemblymember Rich Gordon, 21st District
- Assemblymember Jerry Hill, 19th District
- Assemblymember Bob Wieckowski, 20th District
Other legislator panelists may be announced. Steve Boilard of the Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO) will deliver a brief budget overview at the event.
De Anza Associated Student Body (DASB) and the De Anza College Institute of Community and Civic Engagement (ICCE) are event partners.
For more information or requests for disability accommodations, please contact Marisa Spatafore, De Anza College director of marketing/communications, at 408.864.8672 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions to De Anza College