Staff and Organizational Development

Staff and Organizational Development

A.C.E. Conference Funds Guidelines 2017 – 2018

Printable Version (pdf)

Conference funds, negotiated by the Association for Classified Employees (A.C.E.) and the Foothill-De Anza Community College District, provide opportunities for probationary and permanent classified and classified hourly staff to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences. [Current Contract: Article 14.7 Travel and Conference Fund.] Staff Revitalization and Professional Conference Funds are related to teaching and learning, job enhancement, and professional development. Examples of acceptable activities include:

  • attendance at off-campus professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
  • attendance at on-campus workshops and seminars.
  • visiting other colleges or industry settings to review exemplary programs.

In reviewing applications, the committee considers criteria such as:

  • value to the individual in updating job skills relating to instruction, student services, service excellence or technology.
  • value to the college in furthering current and future directions in instruction, student services, service excellence or technology.
  • presenting or speaking at a conference.
  • an effective plan for disseminating/implementing information and skills acquired.
  • availability of other funding sources.

This bill prohibits state funds from being used for travel to states that have passed laws authorizing or allowing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, same-sex relationship, or same-sex marriage and our FHDA Board of Trustees support these prohibitions. District funds are prohibited from being used to travel to Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas, currently.



Conference funds must be approved prior to the date of activity.

Fall Quarter 2017
Application Packet due by: For the Meeting On:
Tue., October 3 Wed., October 11
Tue., October 24 Wed., November 1
Tue., November 7

Wed., November 15

Winter Applications Start to be Reviewed

Tue., November 28 Wed., December 6
Winter Quarter 2018
Application Packet due by: For the Meeting On:
Tue., January 9 Wed., January 17
Tue., January 30

Wed., February 7

Spring Applications Start to be Reviewed

Tue., February 20

Wed., February 28

All NCORE Applications are Reviewed as a Group

Tue., March 13 Wed., March 21
Spring Quarter 2018
Application Packet due by: For the Meeting On:
Tue., April 10 Wed., April 18
Tue., May 1

Wed., May 9

Summer Applications Start to be Reviewed

Tue., May 22 Wed., May 30
Tue., June 12 Wed., June 20

Summer Applications are reviewed and awarded on an as-needed basis.

Board Policy 4176 International Travel: The Board of Trustees recognizes that there is an occasional need for international travel to advance the purpose of the District. Except for the staff members employed within the Office of International Students and the Campus Abroad programs at FHDA, the College President and the Chancellor, in advance of the travel, must approve all international travel. The Chancellor shall submit a report to the Board of Trustees of all international travel approved under this policy.

Please allow several weeks to complete the approval process for international travel! To assist you with preparing your documents for the approval process please review the following:

Instructions for Completing International Travel Authorization
International Travel Authorization Form

  1. Awards for A.C.E. classified professionals are limited to a maximum of $1600.00 per person in any academic year.
  2. Funds are allocated to defray, in part, costs associated with conference/workshop fees, airfare or driving mileage to the event (maximum reimbursed is 300 miles driving or the equivalent economy airfare), local mileage or public transportation to the event, parking fees, ground transportation (taxis and shuttles), and lodging (if 75 miles or more away); per diem/meals, car rental, if applicable.
  3. In order to ensure equitable funding throughout the year, funds are divided among summer/fall, winter, and spring quarters. Summer activities are reviewed by the committee as they are submitted across summer quarter.

Funds WILL be allocated for:
  1. The conference, workshop, or seminar fee.
  2. Airfare, or driving mileage to the event, from home or work, whichever is closest (maximum reimbursement is 300 max when driving, or amount of equivalent economy airfare).
  3. Ground transportation, such as local public transportation, taxi or shuttle from airport to hotel, and car rental-when applicable.
  4. Meals/per diem. Estimate actual meal costs for your application, not to exceed the maximums: Breakfast - $10 per day, Lunch = $15 per day, Dinner = $30 per day.
  5. Lodging expenses, if event is further than 75 miles away from the campus.
  6. Conference and travel expenses while on Staff Development Leave.
Funds will NOT be allocated for:
  1. Membership fees that are separate from conference registration fees.
  2. Enrollment in college or university accredited courses. [Educational Assistance Funds are available from the District. See Appendix A in your A.C.E. union contract for an Education Assistance Form.]

Funds may be requested by written application to the Staff Revitalization and Professional Conference Funds Committee. Interactive application forms may be downloaded and must be filled-in on your computer using Adobe Acrobat [other pdf viewing applications may not work].
Call Mary Kay Englen at ext. 8322 if you have questions about completing the application

The original completed application packet should be submitted to the Professional Development Office for forwarding to the Committee and should contain:

  • signature of the dean, supervisor, or manager.
  • one attached copy of the brochure, flyer, program agenda or relevant web pages showing the conference description; conference, airfare or transportation, and hotel fees.
  • if requesting mileage reimbursement, Google Directions showing the number of miles to the activity.
  • a completed and signed International Travel Authorization Form, if planning to travel outside of the United States.

Award letters are sent out to applicants within a couple of days after the committee meeting. When an application has been approved for funding, the applicant will receive an award letter and a Trip Voucher, Out-of-State Authorization Form (where applicable), and instructions for reporting expenses in their mailbox in the Administration building Mail Room.

Employees are responsible for paying for all conference fees and travel expenses. To be reimbursed for these expenses, applicants must submit all three of the following to the Professional Development Office within 45 days of the date on which the activity occurred:

  1. a completed and signed trip voucher (the Associate Vice President of Instruction's signature will be acquired by the Professional Development Office).
  2. original receipts made out to the attendee for conference fees, lodging, and transportation (receipts issued in someone else's name will not be reimbursed).
  3. a 1-2 page written summary of the conference outcomes.
  4. a copy of the Board Approval for International Travel (if traveling out of country).

The District external auditors require original receipts and proof of payment to be turned in with your Trip Voucher for reimbursement of your approved expenses. Please make a copy of your receipts for your own records before turning them in with your Trip Voucher.

  • Receipts for expenses paid by credit card must show your name, the completed transaction (showing a $0 balance on hotel receipts), the credit card type (Visa, American Express, Discover, etc.), and for VISA credit card receipts, the last 4 digits of the credit card number.
  • Receipts for expenses paid by personal check: you must attach a copy of the cancelled checked, both the front side and back side, showing that it was cashed by your bank.
  • Receipts for expenses paid by PayPal, that do not show account information for the bank account or credit card that it is charged to, must be accompanied by a statement showing the completed transaction (all information except for the transaction and the last four digits of the account may be blacked out).
  • Receipts for expenses paid by cash must show “paid in cash” or you may record “Paid in Cash” on the receipt and initial it.

If you have been approved for secondary funding for your activity through your division/department budget or campus grants, you should plan to turn in ALL receipts for reimbursement on the Professional Development trip voucher that was sent to you. The manager of the secondary funds should fill in the amount of reimbursement and the appropriate budget code/FOAP at the top of the trip voucher, and sign the bottom. The trip voucher and receipts then go to the Office of Professional Development to complete the processing and obtain the final signatures.

If your division or department has already paid for part or all of your approved conference expenses with a District purchasing card or Direct Pay request, then the Professional Development Office will process the necessary paperwork to transfer the expense to the appropriate conference budget. You must obtain a copy of the Budget Query showing that the expense has been charged to the department budget and turn that in with the matching receipts for processing with your trip voucher.

Building: Media and Learning Center, Room 246
Contact: Mary Kay Englen
Phone: 408.864.8322

Last Updated: 9/28/17