Staff and Organizational Development

Staff and Organizational Development

Faculty Conference Funds Guidelines 2017 – 2018

Printable Version

Conference funds provide opportunities for faculty to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences. Staff Revitalization and Professional Conference Funds are related to teaching and learning, job enhancement, and professional development. Examples of acceptable activities include:

  • attendance at off-campus professional conferences, workshops, and seminars.
  • attendance at on-campus workshops and seminars.
  • visiting other colleges or industry settings to review exemplary programs.

In reviewing applications, the committee considers criteria such as:

  • value to the college in furthering current and future directions in curriculum, instructional methodology, telecommunications and technology, student services and/or management.
  • value to the individual in updating an instructional, student services, or management discipline.
  • presenting or speaking at a conference.
  • an effective plan for disseminating/implementing information and skills acquired.
  • availability of augmenting funds and/or alternative activities.

This bill prohibits state funds from being used for travel to states that have passed laws authorizing or allowing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, same-sex relationship, or same-sex marriage and our FHDA Board of Trustees support these prohibitions. District funds are prohibited from being used to travel to Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas, currently.

Conference funds must be approved prior to the date of activity.

Fall Quarter 2017
Application Packet due by: For the Meeting On:
Tue., October 3 Wed., October 11
Tue., October 24 Wed., November 1
Tue., November 7

Wed., November 15

Winter Applications Start to be Reviewed

Tue., November 28 Wed., December 6
Winter Quarter 2018
Application Packet due by: For the Meeting On:
Tue., January 9 Wed., January 17
Tue., January 30

Wed., February 7

Spring Applications Start to be Reviewed

Tue., February 20

Wed., February 28

All NCORE Applications are Reviewed as a Group

Tue., March 13 Wed., March 21
Spring Quarter 2018
Application Packet due by: For the Meeting On:
Tue., April 10 Wed., April 18
Tue., May 1

Wed., May 9

Summer Applications Start to be Reviewed

Tue., May 22 Wed., May 30
Tue., June 12 Wed., June 20

Board Policy 4176 International Travel: The Board of Trustees recognizes that there is an occasional need for international travel to advance the purpose of the District. Except for the staff members employed within the Office of International Students and the Campus Abroad programs at FHDA, the College President and the Chancellor, in advance of the travel, must approve all international travel. The Chancellor shall submit a report to the Board of Trustees of all international travel approved under this policy.

Please allow several weeks to complete the approval process for international travel! To assist you with preparing your documents for the approval process please review the following:

  1. Awards for full-time and part-time faculty are limited to a maximum of $1600.00 per person in any academic year. Part time faculty who teach at both De Anza and Foothill Colleges are allowed a maximum of $1600 total, District-wide.
  2. Funds are allocated to defray, in part, costs associated with conference/workshop fees, airfare or driving mileage to the event (maximum reimbursed is 300 miles driving or the equivalent economy airfare), local mileage or public transportation to the event, parking fees, ground transportation (taxis and shuttles), and lodging (if 75 miles or more away, at $250 max per night); car rental, if applicable.
  3. In order to ensure equitable funding throughout the year, funds are divided among summer/fall, winter, and spring quarters. If funding is available, requests for summer activities will be considered at the last three spring quarter committee meetings.
Funds will not be allocated for:
  1. Food, and other expenses not specified above.
  2. Membership fees that are separate from conference registration fees.
  3. One-year grant-funded faculty. [If the administrative supervisor verifies the length of position and that the grant will continue at least one year after the activity for which funds are requested, then grant-funded faculty are eligible for conference funds.]
  4. Faculty on Article 19, or on leave without pay, retraining stipends, or fellowships.
  5. Part-time faculty who have not yet achieved re-employment preference.
  6. Enrollment in college or university credit courses. [Training/Retraining Stipends are available from the District. Refer to your union contract, Article 35 and Appendix R, or call District Human Resources for more information.]

Funds may be requested by written application to the Staff Revitalization and Professional Conference Funds Committee. Interactive application forms may be downloaded and must be filled-in on your computer using Adobe Acrobat [other pdf viewing applications may not work].
Call Mary Kay Englen at ext. 8322 if you have questions about completing the application.

The original completed application packet should be submitted to the Professional Development Office for forwarding to the Committee and should contain:

  • signature of the dean, supervisor, or manager, and indication that the application is approved or not (applications not approved by the dean will be sent to the VP of Instruction and the President for review).
  • one attached copy of the brochure, flyer, program agenda or relevant web pages showing the conference description; conference, airfare or transportation, and hotel fees.
  • if requesting mileage reimbursement, Google Directions showing the number of miles to the activity.
  • a completed and signed International Travel Authorization Form, if planning to travel outside of the United States.

Award letters are sent out to applicants within a couple of days after the committee meeting. When an application has been approved for funding, the applicant will receive an award letter and a Trip Voucher, Out-of-State Authorization Form (where applicable), and instructions for reporting expenses in their mailbox in the Administration building Mail Room.

Employees are responsible for paying for all conference fees and travel expenses. To be reimbursed for these expenses, applicants must submit all three of the following to the Professional Development Office within 45 days of the date on which the activity occurred:

  1. a completed and signed trip voucher (the Associate Vice President of Instruction's signature will be acquired by the Professional Development Office).
  2. original receipts made out to the attendee for conference fees, lodging, and transportation (receipts issued in someone else's name will not be reimbursed).
  3. a 1-2 page written summary of the conference outcomes.
  4. a copy of the Board Approval for International Travel (if traveling out of country).

The District external auditors require original receipts and proof of payment to be turned in with your Trip Voucher for reimbursement of your approved expenses. Please make a copy of your receipts for your own records before turning them in with your Trip Voucher.

  • Receipts for expenses paid by credit card must show your name, the completed transaction (showing a $0 balance), the credit card type, and for VISA credit card receipts, the first 4 or last 4 digits of the credit card number.
  • Receipts for expenses paid by personal check must show "paid by check" or you may record "paid by check" and the check number on it, and initial it.
  • Receipts for expenses paid with cash must show "paid in cash" or you may record "paid in cash" on the receipt and initial it.
  • Receipts for expenses paid by PayPal must be accompanied by a credit card statement showing the completed transaction (all information except for the transaction and the last four digits of the account may be blacked out).

If you have been approved for secondary funding for your activity through your division/department budget or campus grants, you should plan to turn in ALL receipts for reimbursement on the Professional Development trip voucher that was sent to you. The manager of the secondary funds should fill in the amount of reimbursement and the appropriate budget code/FOAP at the top of the trip voucher, and sign the bottom. The trip voucher and receipts then go to the Office of Professional Development to complete the processing and obtain the final signatures.

If your division or department has already paid for part or all of your approved conference expenses with a District purchasing card or Direct Pay request, then the Professional Development Office will process the necessary paperwork to transfer the expense to the appropriate conference budget. You must obtain a copy of the Budget Query showing that the expense has been charged to the department budget and turn that in with the matching receipts for processing with your trip voucher.

Building: Media and Learning Center, Room 246
Contact: Mary Kay Englen
Phone: 408.864.8322

Last Updated: 9/28/17