Refund Policies and Procedures
A community college district shall not refund any enrollment fee paid by a student for program changes made after the first two weeks of instruction for a primary term-length course, or after the 10 percent point of length of the course for a short-term course, unless the program changes are a result of action by the district to cancel or reschedule a class or to drop a student pursuant to Section 58106(g) where the student fails to meet a prerequisite.
In accordance with Section 58508 of Title V, California Code of Regulation, the college may withhold $10 from your enrollment fee refund. To be eligible for a credit/refund, follow the procedures below, complete a refund request form and forward it to the Cashier's Office for processing.
- See drop deadlines for your sections in MyPortal under View Your Class Schedule.
- Drop your classes before the drop deadlines. If your class meets one time only, drop your class before the date of the class meeting.
- A class added after the drop deadline is not eligible for a refund.
- Refunds due to drops before the start of term will not include the $10 refund service charge.
- Refund: Total credit, minus $10 refund service charge, for class(es) dropped within the deadline.
- New: Effective 2014 winter, out-of-state and foreign tuition fee will only be refundable if a class is dropped before the drop deadline.See drop deadlines for your sections in MyPortal under View Your Class Schedule. For tuition refunds for Fall 2013 and before, see out-of-state and foreign tuition fee refund schedule prior to 2014 winter quarter. For a 12-week class, there is no refund or credit after second week of the quarter.
- Refund/credit of parking fee: NO refund after 2nd week of quarter or 1st week of summer session except cancellation of all classes by the college for quarterly parking permit. Annual parking permit is non-refundable at all times. Decal must be returned to the Cashier’s Office to qualify for the refund/credit.
Refunds are not automatic. You must request your refund in writing following the above procedures. Submit your refund request form to the Cashier's Office with your refund instructions (payment method). Most refunds will be processed no earlier than the first day of the third week of term.
Methods to Request a Refund
- Pick up a refund request form from the Cashier's Office OR
- Download and complete the refund request form and mail or deliver to the Cashier's Office. OR
- Send a letter addressed to the Cashier's Office, De Anza College, 21250 Stevens Creek Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014
Refund requests in writing should contain all of the following:
- Student's name
- Student ID number
- Amount of refund
- Student's signature
If requesting a refund via credit card, please provide the following information in addition to the above:
- Cardholder's name and authorizing signature
- Cardholder's billing address
An incorrect address could result in a considerable delay because your refund check could get lost or end up in the wrong hands. Please ensure that all refund requests are made within the deadlines specified in the schedule of classes.
- If payment was made by cash or check, please allow three to four weeks for processing a refund check. If the payment was made by credit card charge, the credit reversal will be processed within 5 working days, but not earlier than the first day of the third week of school.
- A $25 returned-item processing fee will be assessed for each check or credit card charge that is returned to the college by the student’s bank, including stop payments initiated by the student.
Refund Schedule Prior to 2014 Winter Quarter
- Refund/credit for out-of-state or foreign tuition fee for quarter sessions (12 weeks quarter-length classes only): classes dropped during the first week=100% of tuition fee less applicable $10 refund service fee; classes dropped during the second week=75% tuition fee less applicable $10 refund service fee; classes dropped during the third week=50% tuition fee less applicable $10 refunding service charge; classes dropped during the fourth week=25% tuition fee less applicable $10 refunding service charge. No refunds after the fourth week
- Refund/credit for out-of-state or foreign tuition fee for summer session or non 12 weeks classes is on the date before the 10 percent point of length of the course.