Registration & Student Services Building

Registration Information

Request Pass/No Pass Grade

During registration, before the first day of classes, you may choose the P/NP option online.  See below for How to Change a Graded Class to Pass/No Pass.

After classes begin for a term, you will need to complete the Pass/No Pass printed form and submit it in person to the Admissions Office by the request pass/no pass deadline.

Please be aware that some transfer institutions will not accept pass/no pass grades and per state regulations, we cannot change a P/NP to a letter grade.

De Anza College utilizes the P/NP grading scheme for many courses, as authorized by the Board of Trustees and Title V.
  1. Some courses are designated in the catalog as P/NP courses. A letter grade is not available to the student in such a course. Among the group of courses are those with a “single satisfactory standard of performance for which unit credit is assigned.” (See Section 51302 of Title V.)
  2. For all other courses, the student may select the P/NP option instead of a letter grade (A, B, C, etc.), so long as s/he opts no later than the fourth (4th) week of the term (for courses shorter than 12 weeks, it is a third of the term). Once a student has selected the P/NP option, the resulting grade shall be final.

Use the MyPortal registration system to change a graded class to Pass/No Pass.

  1. LOG IN to MyPortal.
  2. CLICK the Registration tab.
  3. FOLLOW (click) the Add or Drop Classes link to the class term.
  4. FIND the class in your Current Schedule and SELECT Pass/No Pass under the Grade Mode column. Note: Once you select and submit the change for the P/NP option, this action cannot be reversed.

If you experience a problem with the online Pass/No Pass request function, you may bring a completed Pass/No Pass printed formAdobe PDF iconto the A & R Desk by the deadline for that term.

Restrictions have been placed on the use of P grades:

  • No more than thirty (30) units of credit with a P grade can be applied toward an Associate in Arts degree, and 
  • Ordinarily no P grade may be applied toward a student’s major requirements unless the major division lists a P/ NP course on their curriculum sheets.

Units earned on a P/NP basis shall not be used to calculate grade point averages. However, units attempted for which NP is recorded shall be so considered in probation and dismissal procedures.

See Standards for Probation Policy for more information.

Building: Registration & Student Services
Contact: Admissions and Records Office
Phone: 408.864.5300

Last Updated: 7/1/13