Writing for the Web: Don't Make Me Think
Keep it Simple and Think Mobile First! What content would you create if you were designing for a smart phone?
Google Writing for the Web and you will find a lot of websites with tips.
Here are some that I would recommend.
Articles of special interest
De Anza College Style Guide
- Phone numbers: Use periods between the numbers. Example: 408.864.5400
- Dates: Jan. 12, 2013 (abbreviate months except for March, April, May, June and July) and spell out full month if only year - January 2013.
- Times: Use a.m. or p.m. (not AM or PM)
Main Content Area Set Up
- Ask: Who is the audience?
- Is your page formatted in a way that is easy to read for key concepts, using short paragraphs, bullet points and subheadings?
- Did you stay with the default settings for your main content paragraphs? – Black text on white is easiest to read.
- Do you link to other pages within your Web site whenever appropriate?
- Should you create a new separate page for a particular concept/section on a page?
- Use images to highlight the information.
- Provide information signs
- Create link labels that reflect the page being linked to