New Assessment Policy: Language Arts
- To learn how you may be affected by the new assessment policies for Math, please visit the Math Assessment webpage.
De Anza College is now using multiple methods to assess students’ Math and English skills. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may no longer need to take placement tests.
- If you have not yet taken placement tests, please visit our main Assessment Center webpage to learn about the new assessment process.
- Some students who have already taken English placement tests may now qualify for a different placement, or may be eligible to enroll directly in EWRT 1A (Composition and Reading). To see if you qualify, please follow the steps below.
- Check MyPortal for your placement: Log in to MyPortal and open the Apps page, then click on the Student Registration icon and select "View My Placement Results."
- If eligible, the placement you see will be based on your U.S. high school transcript and GPA.
- If you don't see a placement, you will need to submit your high school information by using the Student Assessment form.
If you didn't attend high school in the United States, you'll need to use a different assessment method to get your Language Arts placement. Please visit the Guided Self-Placement webpage for more information.
Basic Skills and Developmental Courses Still Available!
You may still choose to take any of the following courses if you feel you would benefit from the extra foundation these courses provide.
- EWRT 200 (Fundamentals of Writing)
- EWRT 211 (Preparatory Reading and Writing Skills)
- READ 200 (Reading Fundamentals)
- READ 211 (Developmental Reading)
If you have any questions about choosing the best English course for your educational goal, please see your counselor for assistance.