Attention New Students

Here are some tips on what classes to take in your very first quarter as a new student at De Anza.


You must go through orientation to learn important information that will help you succeed. Completing orientation is also a required step to qualify for priority enrollment. The sooner you complete orientation and other necessary steps, the sooner you will qualify for priority enrollment.

During orientation, you'll get help in selecting your classes. But if you need to register for classes before completing orientation, use these guidelines.

Take these classes first

Decide which GE courses to take

All students who plan to transfer or obtain a degree from De Anza must complete general education classes.

There are several different patterns to follow for general education requirements. One common general education option is called the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum, or IGETC. You'll find a current list of IGETC requirements on the Counseling Documents and Forms webpage.

  • IGETC general education courses count for both the University of California (UC) and the California State University (CSU).
  • Courses on IGETC also count toward De Anza College‚Äôs general education pattern, if you wish to obtain an Associate Degree.

You can start by taking courses from these areas listed on the IGETC requirements

  • Area 3, including courses from 3A: Arts and 3B: Humanities
  • Any course from Area 4: Social and Behavioral Sciences

After you develop a complete educational plan, you may switch to a different general education pattern. If you do switch patterns, the IGETC courses may still meet GE requirements.

Investigate Transfer or Degree Requirements

You could begin taking courses designated for transfer students and students earning an associate degree. You will learn more about the requirements for your major in COUN 5: Introduction to College.

  • If your goals include transfering to a public California university, visit
  • If your goals include getting an associate degree, visit De Anza's Degrees and Certificates webpage
Back to Top