How to Apply for Aid
Step 1 Complete the FAFSA application either online or by paper.
- TO APPLY ONLINE
TO APPLY BY PAPER APPLICATION
- Print the FAFSA '14-'15, English or FAFSA '14-'15, Spanish (July 1, 2014- June 30, 2015)
- Print the FAFSA '15-16, English (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016)
- Mail the application to Federal Student Aid Programs, PO BOX 4692, MT VERNON, IL 62864-4692
Step 2 Wait for your application to process.
- Wait for the processing of your application, about three to five business days. After that, you should be receiving two emails.
- One is from the Federal Student Aid Commission containing your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- The second email is from De Anza College Financial Aid Office indicating that we have received your FAFSA data and have identified supporting documents needed to continue processing your application.
- Instructions are given to check your status on your MyPortal.
Step 3 Check Your Status on Your MyPortal.
- Check your Financial Aid Tab on your MyPortal.
- If you have all GREEN Flags, you will see a Financial Award within one to two weeks.
- If you have RED Flag(s), we need you to turn in the required form(s) to the Financial Aid Office.
- You can obtain the required form(s) by following the link(s) in your MyPortal or from our website.
- The review process for required forms is one to two weeks. During this process you can check your status for updates on your MyPortal.
- After reviewing the supporting documents, other essential documents or information may be requested in order to obtain a complete view of the student's circumstances.
Step 4 Financial Aid Awards
- Financial Aid Awards are made after the review process and are posted on your MyPortal.
- For students awarded a Direct Loan: You may accept the loan on your MyPortal and follow the instructions to complete an entrance interview and Master Promissory Note.