How to Apply for Aid
Step 1 Complete the FAFSA application either online or by paper.
- TO APPLY ONLINE
TO APPLY BY PAPER APPLICATION
- Print the FAFSA '16-17, English (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017)
- Mail the application to Federal Student Aid Programs, PO BOX 4692, MT VERNON, IL 62864-4692
Step 2 Wait for your application to process.
- The FAFSA will be processed by FSA in three to five business days. It can take 7-10 days for De Anza to receive the information.
- You will receive an email from Federal Student Aid(FSA) informing you that your that your FAFSA was processed successfully. It will also contain the link to your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- You will receive an email from the De Anza College Financial Aid Office when we receive your FAFSA data. The email will also inform you if we need any supporting documents in order to continue processing your application.
- Instructions in the email direct you to check your status on your MyPortal.
Step 3 Check Your Status on Your MyPortal.
- Check your Financial Aid Tab on your MyPortal.
- If you have all GREEN Flags, you will see a Financial Award within one to two weeks.
- If you have RED Flag(s), we need you to turn in the required form(s) to the Financial Aid Office.
- You can obtain the required form(s) by following the link(s) in your MyPortal or from our website.
- The review process for required forms takes approximately two weeks. During peak processing times, it may take up to 6 weeks. We recommend you regularly check for updates on your MyPortal.
- After reviewing the supporting documents, other essential documents or information may be requested in order to obtain a complete view of the student's circumstances.
Step 4 Financial Aid Awards
- Financial Aid Awards are made after the review process and are posted on your MyPortal.
- For students awarded a Direct Loan: You may accept the loan on your MyPortal and follow the instructions to complete an entrance interview and Master Promissory Note.