Hindi is one of many world languages taught at De Anza. We provide a wide range of course levels to meet the needs of our students.
Already Know Some Hindi?You may be eligible to skip certain lower-level courses. This is called "clearing" a prerequisite.
Plan Your Progress
We offer three quarter-long courses that build practical communication skills – reading, writing, listening, and speaking – in the Hindi language.
|Offered in Fall Quarter||Offered in Winter Quarter||Offered in Spring Quarter|
|HNDI 1: Elementary Hindi (first quarter)||HNDI 2: Elementary Hindi (second quarter)||
HNDI 3: Elementary Hindi (third quarter)
These courses fulfill General Education requirements, are transferable and meet a requirement for the A.A. degree in Global Studies.
- For detailed course descriptions, visit our Course Information webpage
- Check classes, times and instructors for each quarter by consulting the Class Schedule
Each course in Hindi is designed to prepare you for the next one: Most students should take HNDI 1 before HNDI 2, and HNDI 2 before HNDI 3. These are called prerequisites.
If you already speak some Hindi, or studied Hindi in high school or another college, you may be eligible to skip one or more classes in the sequence. This is called clearing a prerequisite. You must follow the clearance process so that we can accurately assess your ability – and support your success!
- One year of high school language instruction is equivalent to one quarter at De Anza. For example, if you took Hindi 1 in high school, you may be eligible to start with Hindi 2 at De Anza.
- If it's been more than a year since you completed your previous language course, or if you learned Hindi outside a traditional classroom, you may be required to take an assessment to determine which class you should take at De Anza. (This assessment is not for certification or for satisfying GE requirements.)
- If you skip one or more levels at De Anza, you will not receive college credit on your transcript for the courses you skipped.
Visit the World Languages Prerequsite Clearance webpage for detailed instructions and a link to the required form for requesting a prerequisite clearance.