We Want Your Input on a New Mascot!
De Anza College is choosing a new mascot to replace the Don, an outdated symbol that students voted overwhelmingly to retire last spring.
With the start of fall quarter, the college launched a selection process that was based on extensive, campuswide consultation, including
- Coordination with student representatives from the De Anza Associated Student Body (DASB), student-athletes and coaches
- Consultation with Academic Senate and Classified Senate
- Meetings with Athletics alumni
- An email survey sent to students, faculty, classified professionals, retired Athletics employees and Athletics alumni, which drew one of the largest responses a campus survey has ever received
Now we’d like to get your input on a short list of potential mascots, developed on the basis of feedback from this process.
The finalists were chosen by a working group that includes student representatives from DASB, student-athletes and coaches. With your input, this group will also make the final selection.
- Bears or Grizzlies
- Lions or Mountain Lions
You must submit your preferences no later than Friday, Nov. 29, and you may only submit them once.
Tell Us What You Think
Remember, the new mascot will represent De Anza College in athletics, college publications, outreach to future students and souvenirs. It should
- Symbolize pride and school spirit for everyone associated with the college
- Work equally well for women's and men's teams
- Be unique among California community colleges
So, tell us what you think – and check back here for more updates!
De Anza Associated Student Body – Mascot Subcommittee Members
Juan Manuel Marquez