Faculty Resource Hub
This page will be used to provide resources for faculty who are teaching online this spring. We'll add new workshops weekly! Please bookmark this page and check back often.
Resources & Training Opportunities
Zoom sessions listed below are open to all faculty. Faculty need to sign up for Canvas Basics and Course Activation under the Canvas Core tab, but the rest are available for anyone to join by clicking on the Zoom link.
Canvas Core Training (Modified Certification Training for Online Instruction)
We’ve updated our Canvas Certification Training process to reflect the need for providing remote training to faculty who are new to Canvas.
Canvas Basics - Faculty who have completed Module 2 in the past can skip this. If you are new to Canvas, please sign up, or sign up for a waiver on our Faculty Preference Form.
You can choose One 2-hour webinar, OR two 1-hour webinars to complete this. Do not sign up for both a two-hour workshop and two one-hour workshops.
Two-Hour Webinars (Module 2)--pick one
- Friday, March 27 -10:00am-12:00pm
- Wednesday, April 1 - 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Saturday, April 4 - 2:30pm-4:30pm
- Tuesday, April 7 - 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Friday, April 10 - 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Tuesday, March 24 - 2:30-3:30pm
- Monday, March 30 - 2:30-3:30pm
- Monday, April 6 - 10:00-11:00am
plus pick an Hour 2 workshop:
- Thursday, March 26 - 10:00-11:00am
- Thursday, April 2 - 2:30-3:30pm
- Wednesday, April 8 - 10:00-11:00am
After you sign up for a beginner workshop, you will receive a first email within a few days giving you access to Canvas and our Certification Training course.
You will receive a second email a day or two before your workshop with the Zoom link to paste into your Web browser to join the training. See you there! :-)
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED WORKSHOPS
Course Activation (Also Known as Module 4)--pick one
- Thursday, March 26 - 2:30pm-3:30pm
- Friday, April 3 - 10:00am-11:00am
- Wednesday, April 8 - 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Thursday, April 9 - 6:00pm-7:00pm
Making the Jump to Online – Reframing Your Content We’ll take a look at a sample week in a Face-to-Face class and explore ideas for restructuring the content in an online environment.
- Tuesday, March 31 - 11:00am-12:00pm
Can't make it? A recording of a past session is available
- Using a Template to Get Started in Canvas
- Additional Accessibility Workshops
Canvas A-La-Carte (Add-On Canvas Training )
These webinars assume you have used Canvas for basic functions in previous quarters or have completed the Canvas Basics/Module 2 webinar. You must have at least a Canvas log-in with a development shell and access to Canvas Certification Training in Canvas to participate. If you don’t have this, please see the Canvas Core section above.
Online Office Hours - Explore different strategies for conducting office hours online with Canvas Conversations/Inbox, Discussions, Chat and Zoom.
- Monday, March 30 1:00-2:00pm
Assignments and Grading - Dive a little deeper into Canvas Assignments, Assignment Groups and Grading in Speedgrader.
- Monday, March 30 3:30-4:30pm
Video Resources in Canvas - Learn what Canvas has to offer in terms of built-in video resources, as well as how to incorporate them into your assignments/lessons.
- Tuesday, March 31, 1:00-1:30pm
NEW! Group Work in Canvas - We'll look at the different ways to organize students into groups in Canvas, and how to manage group discussions & assignments.
- Wednesday, April 1 - 9:00-10:00am
NEW! Activity Courses Online - Explore strategies for bringing activity classes online. We'll build out a sample week that includes a combination of Zoom, existing videos, assignments, and activity journals.
- Wednesday, April 1 - 3:00-4:00pm
NEW! Canvas Quizzes - We'll look at how to create a basic quiz in Canvas using the basic Quiz feature and Question Banks.
- Thursday, April 2 - 1:00-2:00pm
NEW! Turnitin Assignments in Canvas - We'll walk through how to set up an Turnitin assignment, tips, tricks and settings so you're good to go in Spring 2020!
- Friday, April 3 - 12:30-1:00pm
NEW! Building Community and Connection Online - Explore the different ways to connect with students in an online environment, including tools built into Canvas that make communication meaningful and relevant.
- Friday, April 3 - 1:30-2:30pm
Zoom Basics for Canvas
- Sunday, March 29 - 2:00-3:00pm
- Wednesday, April 1 - 1:00-2:00pm
Whiteboard Lectures with Zoom - This webinar will focus on how to share the Zoom whiteboard, how to do annotations on your computer screen, and how to use your phone or tablet to write and share with students.
Online Open Labs
Guides, Resources and External Training
- Beyond the Basics Canvas Course - Resources for some more advanced features of Canvas. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to gain access to this course.
- Have You Explored Our FAQs? In the Canvas Certification Training Course available on your Canvas Dashboard, click on Modules. The first Module is a Toolkit that has valuable links and instructions to some commonly asked Canvas questions, including a Faculty FAQ page.