March 25, 2020
After I wrote you last week, thanking you for your work in transitioning instruction and student services online, I began to reflect on the very real numbers that add up to a job done incredibly well – and very quickly. While some had been preparing for the transition, I know it still felt very sudden. And no wonder, looking at it by the numbers below:
- Number of current enrollments for spring quarter: 39,572
- Current number of course sections for spring quarter: 1,520
- Percentage previously online: 21
- Total number of faculty – spring only: over 500
- Number of faculty remaining to be trained on Canvas (for spring): Fewer than 100
- Number of classified professionals working remotely: over 250
- Number of classified professionals supporting the transition to online: 5
- Number of Online Education Center and Office of Professional Development faculty supporting the transition to online: 2, at 15 hours per week
- Number of individuals newly trained in on online tools since March 13: over 300, and counting
- Number of administrators: 24
Once again, my thanks and congratulations for all your work in closing out the winter quarter, and for doing so with kindness and a generosity of spirit. On now to a fully online spring quarter, with some training already undergone, and more opportunities and preparation time during the newly scheduled flex days April 6-10, with classes to begin April 13. In acknowledgment of the unusual circumstances, the deadline for faculty to submit grades has been extended until Sunday, April 5. As a reminder, be sure to see our coronavirus response website for the latest information, and refer students there as well: deanza.edu/healthservices/coronavirus.
You make me proud and happy, every day, to be an alum of De Anza College, an 18-year member of the classified staff, and an administrator, here – like all of you – to support our students. Thank you.
Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb