Website May Be Intermittently Unavailable From 6 p.m. to Approx. 10 p.m. Tonight
Rental Procedures and Policies
for Community Groups and Organizations
De Anza College is one of two colleges that make up the Foothill-De Anza Community College District. The mission of De Anza College is to challenge students of every background to develop intellect, character and abilities to achieve their educational goals, and to serve their community in a diverse and changing world. To accomplish this mission, De Anza College provides a quality teaching and learning environment and sound educational programs and services, accessible and responsive to the needs and interest of the people of our community.
De Anza College celebrates the diversity of its student body and the communities from which they are drawn. One of the ways De Anza attempts to respond to the needs and interest of our community is by making our facilities available for use by various community groups and organizations
Foothill-De Anza Community College District Facility Use Policy
Pursuant to Foothill-De Anza Community College District Board Policy 3205, the use of college facilities by outside groups shall not interfere with, infringe on or impede college instruction, programs or activities. Use will be for short-term and temporary needs. No possessory interest is intended by any permitted use of a college facility. No use shall be permitted under the authorization of this policy that constitutes a monopoly for the benefit of any person or organization. Education Code 82542 authorizes the use and fees for the use of college facilities by outside groups.
General Facility Policies
VPAC is available first as a classroom and instructional activities space. The facility is available to community groups under the following conditions:
- On Fridays and weekends when the facility is not in use for classes, instructional activities or other College events or activities.
- Facility has not been rented to another group.
Organizations and community groups will not be allowed to use the facility if:
- the requesting group has an outstanding bill for the use of a District facility;
- the requesting group has damaged or misused District property or equipment;
- the requesting group wishes to use the facility to slander or discriminate against another group (ethnic, religious, gender, etc.);
- the requesting group wishes to use the facility for any illegal purpose;
- the organization or group cannot provide insurance to cover the event.
Steps for renting the VPAC are as follows:
Step 1 — Check Available Rental Dates
- The requesting group may obtain information about the VPAC theatre and available rental dates at http://www.deanza.edu/rentals-vpac. A requesting group must contact the Facilities Rental Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408.864.8333 to confirm a date and time for the event.
- The agreed upon date can be held for ten days (two school weeks) pending the arrival of the signed rental application agreement.
Step 2 — Review the VPAC Rental Policies
Step 3 — Complete Rental Application
Step 4 — Confirm Rental Details with Facilities Rental Coordinator
- The renter and the Facilities Rental Coordinator will meet, in person or via phone, to discuss these policies and procedures to ensure understanding of all points. Appointments to view the facility and meet with the Auditorium Manager regarding equipment use and rental must be scheduled in advance with the Facilities Rental Coordinator.
Step 5 — Define Technical Requirements One Month Prior to Event
- In order to best accommodate technical needs, the renter must send technical and other requests to the Facilities Rental Coordinator and Auditorium Manager no later than one month prior to the event.
- Requests include anything provided by De Anza College, including technical equipment, tables, chairs, etc.
- Any modifications to these requests must be made in writing (including email) no less than two weeks prior to the event.
- Any changes to the contracted starting time must be made in writing (including email) no less than three weeks prior to the event.
- Only the contract signer can make these changes.
- Change requests will be honored insofar as they are feasible. The final decision is at the discretion of the Facilities Rental Coordinator.
- Based on the Auditorium Manager's recommendation, the Facilities Rental Coordinator will staff the event with necessary technical crew. Scheduling of crew is solely at the discretion of the Auditorium Manager.
Step 6 — Sign Rental Contract and Pay Rental Fee
- The Facilities Rental Coordinator will send a contract to the requesting group, with the agreed upon dates, times, space, and estimated charges (including equipment, and other related services). The requesting group will sign the contract, retain one copy for their records, and send the original back to the Facilities Rental Coordinator.
- At the same time that the contract is sent to the Facilities Rental Coordinator a check for in full for the estimated charges must be sent to Cashiers Office. Estimated charges are based on the agreed about date and time of the event, identified equipment and additional services. Additional charges will be billed if additional equipment or services are requested and needed on the day(s) of the event.
- IMPORTANT: Reservations are not confirmed until the applicant receives the signed contract from the Facilities Rental Coordinator and the Cashiers Office has received the check for estimated charges.
Step 7— Provide Proof of Insurance
- A certificate of insurance is required for all facility rentals.
- The certificate must list the names of the persons or firm/s named on the facility contract as insured under the policy and must also list the Foothill-De Anza Community College District as an additional insured.
- The coverage must be for a minimum of $1,000,000.00 general liability and the Facilities Rental Coordinator must receive the certificate of insurance at least 30 days prior to the scheduled event or the contract and the event will be cancelled.
Step 8 — Identify a Single Point of Contact for the Event Coordination
- One person must be identified to represent the renter, both before and during the event. This representative should be the contract signer, but if this is not possible, the contract signer must identify and approve the representative.
- If more than one person needs to be consulted, for areas such as lighting and sound, these persons also need to be approved by the contract signer.
- Parking facilities may be rented through the Campus Police Events Parking Coordinator.
- The area behind the theatre is for loading/unloading only.
- Parking regulations are enforced seven days a week.
- Parking is permitted in marked spaces in “Student” lots only.
- $3 Daily Permits are required seven days per week.
Facility Use Policies
- The Auditorium Manager and all technicians will be supplied by the College and paid for by the renter.
- At no time may VPAC be filled over capacity. The capacity of the VPAC auditorium is 400.
- All VPAC renters are responsible for the actions, behavior, and any damages caused by their guests/attendees during the use of the facility. (VPAC personnel reserve the right to have removed from the premises any person behaving in an unlawful, dangerous, or objectionable manner.)
- No fire or burning of materials is allowed in the theatre or on campus. This includes candles, incense, lamps, and pyrotechnics etc.
- Neither equipment nor people may obstruct doors, hallways, and aisles at any time during use of facility.
- No animals other than service animals are allowed in the building or on campus.
- For safety and security, only members of the cast and crew are allowed backstage.
- The renter will provide personnel to prevent unauthorized entrance backstage.
- The renter may not attach anything to the walls of the theatre, exterior or interior, or on any walls on campus. All signs posted must be on stands. VPAC has four easels stands that may be rented.
- De Anza is a smoke-free campus. There is no smoking on the Campus and in its facilities.
- All theatre equipment must be operated by designated De Anza College technical crew members.
- VPAC is not responsible for providing scenery, props, or furniture.
- The renter or the renter’s personnel are not allowed in the projection booth, except with permission from the Auditorium Manager.
- A $275.00 mandatory cleaning fee will be charged per day for each event. This cleaning will take place after the event and will include cleaning and stocking of bathrooms, vacuuming, emptying of trash, etc.
- The renter will be charged an additional $70/hour if the event takes longer than four hours to clean.
- The renter must place all trash in receptacles or trash bags.
- All equipment used must be replaced and the premises left in a neat and ordered fashion.
Food and Beverage
- Food and beverages are allowed only in the VPAC lobby. Food and beverages are not allowed in the auditorium. Performers and crew may bring food backstage, provided that at the end of the event it is properly disposed.
- A licensed food provider who possesses a current Santa Clara County business and catering license must provide all food and beverage, by law. Renters would like to provide refreshments as a part of their event are asked to obtain quotes for catering from the De Anza College Dining Services at http://www.deanza.edu/diningservices/catering.html.
- If a renter chooses to use the services of an outside catering service, they must be approved by the Director of the De Anza College Dining Services. The written approval of the Director of Dining Services along with a copy of the catering services' Santa Clara County business and catering license must provide to the Facilities Rental Coordinator.
- An open flame is not permitted on campus. No food may be prepared on campus. Food may be reheated in approved containers and served.
- Alcohol or alcoholic beverages are not permitted on campus.
Box Office and Ticket Sales
- The Box Office may be used for the sale of tickets.
- Renters are to provide their own ushers/ticket sellers and takers.
Lost and Found
- Items found in the theatre will be held in the Police Department Office for a week.
|We reserve the right to amend these policies as necessary without advance notice.