Special Pass/No Pass Requests 

De Anza has extended the deadlines for requesting Pass/No Pass retroactively for certain quarters during the COVID-19 pandemic.  

However, there are some important things you should consider. Please review this page carefully before clicking the red button to proceed with your request.

You can request Pass/No Pass retroactively for classes taken in

  • Winter or spring of 2022
  • Winter, spring, summer or fall of 2021
  • Winter, spring, summer or fall of 2020

This may be helpful if you feel your grades suffered because of disruptions related to COVID-19 and health officials’ orders to stay at home.

  • De Anza will not include Pass/No Pass grades when calculating your Grade Point Average.
  • A "No Pass" grade for courses taken in the 2020 calendar year, the 2021 calendar year or the 2022 winter and spring quarters will not count against your course completion rate in cases of probation or dismissal.
  • No Pass grades from other quarters will still count against course completion.

You don't need your instructor's approval for this request. However, there are some important things you need to understand before requesting a Pass/No Pass grade.

Important Considerations

  • If you make the request retroactively
    • A grade of C (including C plus) or higher will be converted to Pass.
    • Any grade below C (including D and D plus) will be converted to No Pass.
  • Some transfer universities will not accept Pass grades for credit or major requirements.
    • You should check with your transfer campus or school to find out how they will treat your courses.
    • While the California State University (CSU) system has adopted consistent rules for all campuses, policies still vary at private universities and at individual campuses and schools within the University of California (UC) system.
    • Graduate and professional schools – such as medical, dental or law programs – may not accept Pass grades for admission.
  • If you receive a Pass grade, you will not be allowed to take this course again.
    • If you receive a grade of No Pass, you can take the course again, subject to the usual rules that allow students to enroll in a course no more than three times.
  • A grade of No Pass means you did not complete the course.
    • This means a course will not count for transfer credit.
    • It also could affect your eligibility for financial aid or veteran’s benefits, which require you to show a minimum rate of progress each quarter. If you have questions about this, you can check with the Financial Aid or Veteran Services offices.
  • Some transfer universities may count a Pass grade as equivalent to a 2.0 when doing their own calculation of your GPA.
  • Once you request the Pass/No Pass option, the change is final and you cannot go back to a letter grade for that course.

If you have any questions, check with your counselor before submitting your request.

Request Pass/No Pass

Back to Top