The Women, Gender and Sexuality Center
Welcome! We're a place for activities, support and advocacy for a radically inclusive environment – where students, faculty members and classified professionals are free to self-determine their gender and sexual identities, without harassment, discrimination or violence.
Congratulations to All Who Participated in This Year's Lavender Grad Celebration on June 14!
Read About Keynote Speaker Alyssa Cisneros
Vice Mayor Alysa Cisneros joined the Sunnyvale City Council in 2020 as the first directly elected representative for District 2, including downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. She is both the first Latina and the first openly LGBTQ+ member of the council. She is also a faculty member in the De Anza Political Science Department, where she teaches Introduction to American Government and Social Movements since 1960.
Cisneros is proud of her De Anza roots: She attended this college from 2011-2013 before transferring to Mills College to earn a bachelor's degree in Political, Legal and Economic Analysis and a master's degree in Public Policy. She has worked as a community organizer and public policy analyst, while remaining committed to advancing the interests of poor people, people of color and the LGBTQ+ community.
Missed the Queer and Now Conference?
Watch the Recording!
This year's Queer and Now Conference was held on May 23, with featured guests including
- Keynote speaker: Layshia Clarendon, activist and WNBA athlete
- Speaker: Andy Duran, Playing with Our Bodies
More About Queer and Now
This year's Queer and Now keynote keynote speaker, athlete and activist Layshia Clarendon, is currently the point guard for the WNBA's Minnesota Lynx.
- Layshia was leading scorer for the Cal Golden Bears in college and was named a WNBA All-Star in 2017.
- Three years later, they became the first out trans and nonbinary player in WNBA history.
- A regular commentator for the Pac-12 Network, as well as vice president of the WNBA players' association, Layshia is also a noted advocate, speaker and writer on social issues.
Queer and Now is an annual conference at De Anza that focuses on the larger and local LGBTQ+ community, along with student success, equity, intersectionality and social justice concerns.
This year's sponsors include the De Anza Student Government, Office of President Lloyd Holmes, Student Success and Retention Services, and the Women, Gender and Sexuality Center – in collaboration with the Office of Equity, Physical Education and Athletics Division and REACH.
About Our Name
The center adopted a new name in 2021 to reflect our commitment to providing expanded services and resources, while we continue to honor Jean Miller with a new scholarship program!
"Women," "Womyn," "Womxn" or ?
We've been thinking more about the use of these terms, and we've decided to use the spelling "women" going forward. For an explanation and some background, please read our statement on this decision.
Stay in Community With Us
- Billy DeFrank LGBTQ Community Center
- Outlet - Adolescent Counseling Services
- Gender Identity Awareness Network
Desi LGBTQ Helpline: 1.908.367.3374
- Community United Against Violence
- Santa Clara County Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Affairs
- LGBTQ Youth Space
Family and Children Services of Silicon Valley
- Transfamily Support Group of Santa Clara County
- The Trevor Project
24/7 Crisis Hotline: 1.866.488.7386
- Suicide & Crisis Hotline: 1.855.278.4204
- PFLAG: Parents, Families, Friends, LGBTQ people and Allies United for Equality
- Santa Clara County District Attorney:
Hate Crimes Team and Victim Services Unit
You'll find more sources of help and information on this LGBTQI+ Resources and More webpage.
Harassment and Discrimination Policy
Please see the following policy documents for the Foothill-De Anza Community College District