Pass/No Pass Requests: Winter 2020

The deadline to request Pass/No Pass grading has been extended for courses taken during the 2020 winter quarter, under a special order from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. (This applies to winter quarter only. To learn about requesting Pass/No Pass for spring 2020 or any other quarters, visit the main Pass/No Pass Information webpage.)

You can ask to have your grades converted retroactively to Pass/No Pass for any course taken during the 2020 winter quarter. If you make this request

  • A grade of C (including C minus) or higher will be converted to Pass
  • Any grade below C (including D and D plus) will be converted to No Pass

This may be helpful if you feel your grades suffered because of disruptions related to the coronavirus outbreak and health officials’ orders to stay at home. De Anza will not include Pass/No Pass grades when calculating your Grade Point Average.

No Pass grades for courses taken in the 2020 winter quarter will not count against your course completion rate in cases of probation or dismissal, although No Pass grades from other quarters will still count against course completion.

You don't need your instructor's approval for this request. However, there are some important things you need to understand before requesting a Pass/No Pass grade.

Important Considerations

  • Some transfer universities will not accept Pass grades for credit or major requirements.
    • You should check with your transfer campus or school to find out how they will treat your courses.
    • While the California State University (CSU) system has adopted consistent rules for all campuses, policies still vary at private universities and at individual campuses and schools within the University of California (UC) system.
    • Graduate and professional schools – such as medical, dental or law programs – may not accept Pass grades for admission.
  • If you receive a Pass grade, you will not be allowed to take this course again.
    • If you receive a grade of No Pass, you can take the course again, subject to the usual rules that allow students to enroll in a course no more than three times.
  • A grade of No Pass means you did not complete the course.
    • This means a course will not count for transfer credit.
    • It also could affect your eligibility for financial aid or veteran’s benefits, which require you to show a minimum rate of progress each quarter. If you have questions about this, you can check with the Financial Aid or Veteran Services offices.
  • Some transfer universities may count a Pass grade as equivalent to a 2.0 when doing their own calculation of your GPA.
  • Once you request the Pass/No Pass option, the change is final and you cannot go back to a letter grade for that course.

If you have any questions, check with your counselor before submitting your request.

As you read each of the following statements, please indicate you understand and still want to request Pass/No Pass for one or more winter courses.

I Understand

Back to Top