NOTE: Extra Credits are NOT allowed to replace any missing homework assignments or
absences. Written extra credit papers that are 5 pages minimum is ONLY allowed to
replace an exam NOT for additional points to exam scores. No more than 2 extra credit
papers (5 pages minimum) are allow for the quarter.
1. Review 1 of the books written by Thich Nhat Hanh such as the following which are available at our De Anza library.
Fragrant Palm Leaves
Living Buddha, Living Christ
Love in Action
Peace in Every Step
Present Moment, Wonderful Moment
Miracle of Mindfulness
Read the book and briefly summarize it. Also, write about how the book affects you personally and what insights have you gain from it that will help you live a more relax and happier life.
2. Review 1 of these 2 DVDs which are available on Reserve at De Anza library.
Watch the film & briefly summarize it. What do you think about the film? How does
this film affects you and the way you see your reality?
3. Propose to me any other books, films, or projects you would like to review or do in place of either the final paper or 1 of the exams. After I have approved it, you may start. It would be worth up to 100 points possible if it's a written 5 pages paper similar to number 1 & 2 above. Keep in mind, extra credit is not limited to just writing assignments. It could be a video, a scrapbook, a poster, photographs, poems, etc... Explore your creative expression! Not only is it going to help you earn credit but it's therapeutic and cathartic as well. (These projects would be awarded 10-50 points depending on the content and amount of work you put in)
Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
Love by Dr. Leo Buscaglia
You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber
Living Enlightment by Nithyananda
You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap) by Tammy Strobel
Other extra credits:
- A review verbally share in class of any current events found in newspapers, on line, or magazines related to stress management will be given 5 points extra credits (2 current events max. per student for the quarter)
- Read & review the book “The Precious Present” on Reserved in the De Anza Library or any relevant book. Write a 1-2 pages paper about the book & your thoughts on it for 10 points extra credits.