What is Title IX?
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX) prohibits sex (gender-based) discrimination and harassment in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial funding, including for employment, academic, educational, extracurricular and athletic activities.
- Protects all people regardless of their gender or gender identity from sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence, which are forms of discrimination, and
- Requires institutions to take necessary steps to prevent sexual assault on their campuses, and to respond promptly and effectively when an assault is reported.
De Anza is committed to creating and sustaining a safe educational and working environment free of
- sex discrimination
- sexual harassment
- sexual violence
- domestic violence
- dating and acquaintance violence and stalking
The safety and well-being of the campus community is a priority for De Anza College.
If You Have
Been sexually assaulted or experienced gender-based misconduct
We hope the information on this site will help you know that you are not alone, provide you with the information to help you make informed choices, and support you through the process.
- Sexual assault is NEVER the victim’s fault.
- Your safety is most important; please make sure you are in a safe place.
- If you have any injuries that need medical attention, you may choose to go to the hospital or Student Health Services Center if the assault occurred on campus.
Student Health Services may refer you to obtain testing for sexually transmitted infections and emergency contraception.
- Also if the sexual assault happened within 72 hours, you may choose to have an evidentiary exam in order to collect evidence of the assault.
For more information, see our page for victims of sexual assault.
If You Have
Experienced other forms of harassment or discrimination on campus
- Start with a review of your options for filing an informal or formal complaint for unlawful harassment and discrimination.
- See How Do I File a Complaint? with the De Anza Title IX coordinator.