CIS 21JA - Introduction to x86 Processor Assembly Language
This class covers
- the x86 architecture components
- data representation
- syntax and semantics of the x86 instruction set
- macros, procedures, and directives
- Required: CIS 22B or CIS 26A or CIS 36B
- Advisory: English Writing 211 and Reading 211 (or Language Arts 211), or English as a Second Language 272 and 273; Mathematics 210
This class uses the MASM assembler, therefore you must have access to an Intel-based system running Windows OS to complete the assignments. The CIS Open Lab provides these systems for students to log in and use, if you don't have personal access to one.
- Assembly Language for x86 Processors - 7th Editionby Irvine
There are two sections of this course running in parallel: a hybrid section and an online section. Students in both sections use the same online components and participate together.
- Hybrid Section: 2 hours lecture, 1 hour lab per week on campus, plus online lecture notes, assignments, and quizzes
- Online Section: Lecture notes, discussion forums, assignments and quizzes are online. Exams are on campus.
Letter grades are assigned based on
- 8 practice exercises
- 8 programming assignments
- 8 quizzes
- 2 midterm exams
- 1 comprehensive final exam