Meeting Notes - May 26, 2015
1) Approve Notes from March 17, 2015
The notes were approved.
Cruz displayed a status update on the EMP 2015-20.She reminded the team of the planning cycle and that the next accreditation visit is in 2017-18. She explained that the EMP provided direction for the college over the next 5 years and that it drives the facilities master plan.
The EMP is grounded on the mission statement and the college's work around equity. This update to the EMP reflects a more intentional integration between instruction, student services and finance.
Cruz asked the team to review the full plan at http://www.deanza.edu/emp/ and to send email feedback and recommendations to Marisa Spatafore.
The team approved forwarding it to College Council for further review.
A direct link to the EMP is at
3) May Revise
League's May Revise Chart & Presentation. Cheu gave an update on the May Revise. She highlighted the main points:
- One of best budgets community colleges have seen in many years
- For the most part the same as or better than January 2015 draft budget
- Includes $619 million in new Proposition 98 allocations to community colleges
- LAO recommendations and legislative budget process will result in continuing changes
- Community Colleges have not recovered “lost” purchasing power from budget downturn
- One-time versus ongoing funds
Items of note were:
- Ongoing versus one-time funds
- Operating Expense augmentation earmarked for STRS/PERS, other operating increases
- Chancellor’s Office has warned that this level of budget is not sustainable
- Governor does not support state bond measure for capital outlay – bond measures are winding down and need infrastructure support
- 50% effect on spending options
- Proposition 30 expires in 2016 and 2018
3) Quick News