• Communication and expression
• Information literacy
• Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
• Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental justice
• Critical thinking — Updated Spring 2014
Meeting Notes - December 7, 2017
Attending Members: Avila, Booye, Burgos, Cook, Doan, Glapion, Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso, Robles, Shears, Shively, White-Daniels
There was one amendment to the notes and one to the agenda.
Resource Requests – Added Agenda Item
After reviewing the notes from last week, a discussion began about the resource requests.
Shively noted that FA expressed concern over the faculty position change from the Office of College life to Health Services. FA had been told that the Director of College Life position would stay a faculty position and was unsure about making it a management position.
Cook said that the positions were presented to Senior Staff and that it was requested that the Counseling positions have more information that included rationale for filling the positions and the workflow for the positions. Cook stated that with the budget reductions coming this year, Judy Miner has emphasized the priority is to fill faculty positions that will increase enrollment.
Mieso clarified that a faculty position could be hired in Psychological Services, regardless of what happened to the Director of College Life in Student Development position. The creation of the management position has been put on hold at this time.
Cook reviewed the approval process. The requests go to SSPBT for approval -> Senior Staff -> College Council -> Chancellor’s Cabinet who then make the recommendations to the Board.
Some questions and concerns that arose from the discussion:
- If the position presentations were detailed and backed up by data, why were they
not presented to College Council?
- There were questions about the approval process once SSPBT makes a recommendation. SSPBT came to a consensus and felt the discussion should continue with the Faculty Association and the President.
- There was some concern that the positions in Student Services were being reviewed differently than Instruction.
- A request for clarification on why FA was against the position change in Student Development
since FA was not losing a position and it would be a transfer.
- Shively responded that at Foothill they had changed the same position and did not notify or work with FA. They were also were not informed of the interim hire late in the summer for the position at De Anza.
Cook will be inviting President Brian Murphy to SSPBT to discuss the resource requests.
SSPBT Decision Making Process
Cook reviewed the decision making process in SSPBT. Voting is done by consensus; a general agreement among the majority and the item moves forward with any apposing viewpoints noted.
SSPBT Co-Chair Selection
George Robles was voted in as the Chair for the 2017-18 year.
The Agenda Items not addressed in this meeting will be covered in our first meeting in January.
- Guided Pathways
- AB 705
- Budget Reductions Timeline