• Communication and expression
• Information literacy
• Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
• Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental justice
• Critical thinking — Updated Spring 2014
Meeting Notes - May 7, 2015
Attending: Burgos, Claros, Cook (co-chair), Glapion (co-chair), Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Mandy, Mieso, Robles, Shears, White-Daniels
Guests: Virginia Marquez, Rich Hansen
There were no amendments to the notes and a couple made to the agenda.
Education Master Plan Statement Review
This is the first time that there will be a Student Services presence in the Education
The committee read the proposed Master Plan statement and was asked to review it further
to amend or add additional content before the final submission.
iPad Project Updates
- iPads will have forms and apps to make information more accessible to students.
- The iPads will assist with the gathering of data, following up with students, and giving surveys. The data gathered will also be able to be imported instead of being manually entered.
- The iPads will be used at the high school orientations as well. They will assist with the orientation itself; adding consistency, better communication, be more engaging, and enhance the orientation in general.
- EOPS will use iPads for student forms to help make the process paperless.
- They will utilize tutorial materials such as the Kahn Academy iPad app.
- Information will be more accessible to students and will enhance data collection.
- DASB will use them for policies and procedures, information, and tutorials.
- EDC will use iPads in tutoring sessions with students.
- DSS will use them to assist students with DegreeWorks and MyPortal registration.
- CAL will use one for demonstration purposes of accessible software.
- HOPE will use them for daily living skills, on the job training, skill development,
and for use
in the computer lab.
- iPads will be used for workshops on financial literacy, FAFSA, and to assist with financial aid extensions and academic probation.
- Developing a student success app to create an online virtual world to help connect
students with their goals and to the services available to them.
- The app will be interactive with texting, alerts, podcasts, etc.
- The app will incorporate usage analytics to see what services are being
utilized and what isn’t.
- The app will include all of the student services departments.
Student Equity Funding Criteria Proposals
Student Development is looking into a summer math enrichment program for EOPS.
- The program would be 1-2 weeks long and would concentrate on basic skills math.
- It would include tutoring, mentorship, peer mentorship, assistance with math anxiety, etc.
- They would like to create a pilot program with DARE.
- Eventually they would also like to include one for the statistics class as well.
Program Review – Financial Aid (cont)
- Working with Lourdes to get more data that is available to Financial Aid.
- Scanners have been ordered to go paperless in the office and to make documents
- iPads have been ordered to assist with workshops and financial literacy for students.
- Would like to hire a coordinator position and maybe a supervisor as well.
- An ETS position would also be helpful, even if part-time or maybe shared with Foothill.
- Someone who understands Financial Aid regulations to assist with programming.
- Office reconfiguration to create a better ambiance, friendlier atmosphere.
- Academic Works, the new scholarship program should be mentioned.
- Automation of many services such as book vouchers and new workshops should be
added as well.
This review and discussion will finish in the next meeting.
Updates from Teams
1. Assessment – Mieso
- Looking at conducting a pilot to include high school transcripts and grades.
- De Anza will be participating in two state pilot programs:
- Common Assessment
- Multiple Majors
- The upcoming 15-16 year will be a good year for accumulating data.
2. Comprehensive Ed Plan – LeBleu-Burns
- Committee has developed a matrix to show the timeline of when items need to be completed.
- The committee is now working on the details: how to document, how to schedule services, all in a consistent and timely manner.
3. Follow-up/At Risk Students – Burgos
- Receiving data reports from Lourdes to see if students on probation are using our services.
4. Technology – Mandy
- Items to look into:
- Starfish Solutions
- Not Anymore Video
- Needs to be posted by the end of June due to state mandate.
- iPAD Projects
- Clockwork in DSPS
- Data collection using the DASB card