Meeting Notes - May 1, 2012
Christina Espinosa-Pieb - Co-Chair
Coleen Lee-Wheat - Co-Chair
Administrative Reps Anderson, Espinosa-Pieb, Muthyala-Kandula, Norte, Tomaneng, Schroeder
Classified Reps: Bdzil, Monary, Qian
Faculty Reps: Bryant, Lee-Wheat, Mitchell, Singh, Stockwell
Visitors: Chow, Cook, Englen, Jeanpierre, Lee, Lee-Klawender, Milonas, Newell, Woodward
I. Approval notes:
The notes of April 24, 2012 were approved with a minor change.
The team welcomed Moaty Fayek as the new dean of Business/CIS division.
II. Governance Assessment: (Mallory Newell)
Newell passed out the Governance Assessment – Annual Update Form to the members for review. She gave a quick overview and explained how the form should be completed. Newell asked the members to share the info with their constituent groups and advised that she would be back at the next IPBT meeting to give further assistance with completing the form.
III. Budget Discussion:
Espinosa-Pieb recapped the IPBT’s budget reductions for 2012-2013 and its implications for 2013-14. She made several points:
- The district did not credit instruction with all of the Plan A budget reduction as we are still phasing out CAOS and TWRT
- The college plans to backfill the faculty positions that were not hired last fall;
- An additional reduction needs to be made because the college did not make “CAP” during the two-year timeframe allotted to recapture WSCH,
- Hence there is an estimated, $1.6 million (?) deficit in addition to the previous reduction target of $2,789,782
- This would be the worst-case scenario, which is based on the failure of the Governor’s tax package in November.
- There are many variables, such as the State May revise report and the district’s carryover that may make a difference to continuing the plan to float employees through next year.
- The district has requested that a preliminary report to the Board of Trustees be made in early June.
- It was stressed that instructional programs need to continue to emphasize:
1) Increasing enrollment
3) Maximize use of facilities (be smart about scheduling; how and where we schedule)
4) Be ready for the worst-case scenario (enrollment declines, failure of tax initiative etc.)
Espinosa-Pieb informed the team that the budget situation is very fluid and that she will share information as it became available.
She asked the members to think about possible reductions to the instructional area.
Espinosa-Pieb reminded the members that the deadline for (annual program review updates, APRU is May 4, 2012. The deans would send the information to the Office of Instruction who will post on the IPBT website.
Lee-Wheat presented a tentative calendar for the IPBT committee. There was a discussion and with some adjustments the committee approved a calendar for Spring 2012.
Please visit IPBT webpage:
V. Working Team:
Lee-Wheat displayed the Instructional Planning and Budget Review Teams for 2011-2013 and asked the members to review and make changes as needed. A few changes were made during the ensuing discussion.