Meeting Notes - November 10, 2015
Christina Espinosa-Pieb – Chair
Randy Bryant - Chair
Administrative Reps Espinosa-Pieb, Fayek, Lee-Wheat, Kandula, Norte, Tomaneng
Classified Reps: Martinez, Lorna Maynard
Faculty Reps: Alves de Lima, Bram, Bryant, Markus, Rick Maynard
Student Reps: Maria Ho - Student Rep
Absent: Trosper, Pacheco
Visitors: Dawnis Guevara, Mallory Newell
Approval of Notes: The notes of October 13, 2015 were approved.
Faculty Hiring Timeline:
Faculty hiring request list consists of 33 positions for 2016-2017, which includes:
- 12 faculty growth positions. Espinosa-Pieb clarified to the group that Faculty Growth Positions are defined as positions that are not a result of a Faculty Obligation Number (FON) and also have been created without a retirement or resignation occurring in a department. For FHDA the growth positions must be 100% teaching, and serve the purpose of growing enrollment.
- 6 vacant faculty positions - due to recent retirements and resignations (since February 2015).
- 15 faculty positions from previous years that were lower ranked and were not filled.
Espinosa-Pieb announced that the College will be able to hire 18 faculty positions for 2016-17 academic year (12 growth and 6 vacant = 18).
To start faculty hiring earlier than previously, a new faculty hiring timeline was proposed. After a lengthily discussion the members agreed on the following:
- Any dean who is interested in posting their job announcement before the winter break must go through their established department/division process to select faculty to serve on the committee, must have an EO Rep assigned and must get their request to the Academic Senate for approval by 8:00 am on Monday, November 30th “before” they create the job announcement.
- IPBT committee was instructed to refer and share the documents “Hiring Data/Ranking 2016 – 2017” and “Faculty Position Justification 2016 – 2017” with their constituency groups in order to have the voting done by Friday, November 20th at 5:00 PM
- IPBT website –http://www.deanza.edu/gov/IPBT/facultyhiring.html
- All retirement letters submitted in January 2016 would go on 2017-2018 faculty hiring list in Fall 2016.
Process for Allocation of Enhanced Lottery Dollars:
The requests of Enhanced Lottery Dollars Request 15-16, Current Allocation and Balances were approved. Espinosa-Pieb reminded everyone that the Lottery monies must be spent directly to benefit students or faculty members in their class.
Approved additional allocation requests were - BIOL - $30,000, CHEM - $53,000, E S -$2,500, HTEC - $2,000, NURS - $2,000, MCNC - $9,500, MLT - $2,000, PSME - $48,000, SSH - $35,000
Additional requests may be revisited in winter quarter.
Instructional Material Fees:
IPBT agreed to partial funding of the expenditures listed on the Analysis of 13/14 & 14/15 Instructional Mat’l Exps document that was handed out. There was a request to change the document name from ‘Instructional Mat’l Exp’s’ to ‘Instructional Printing' in the future.
After reviewing the Analysis the IPBT voted to take the following action
- The members approved moving the 2013-14 expenditures to Lottery Funds.
- The members approved moving the 2014-2015 expenditures to Lottery Funds for departments who were within one-thousand dollars of the previous years expenditures. Espinosa-Pieb will bring updates from the deans to the next IPBT meeting.
CTE/Perkins Funds: Postponed to next week.