Meeting Notes - January 12, 2016
Christina Espinosa-Pieb – Chair
Randy Bryant - Chair
Administrative Reps Espinosa-Pieb, Lee-Wheat, Kandula
Classified Reps: Martinez, Lorna Maynard
Faculty Reps: Bram, Bryant, Markus, Rick Maynard, Pacheco
Absent: Alves de Lima, Fayek, Norte, Tomaneng, Trosper
Visitors: Dawnis Guevara, Lisa Ly, Mallory Newell
Approval of Notes: The notes of December 1, 2015 were approved.
Announcement: Espinosa-Pieb reported that a phishing email scam has been received by several employees. She notified the group that our domain name has been used which is why it looked real. This case is under investigation by ETS.
Espinosa-Pieb pointed out a few clues on how to recognized phishing / scam:
- Email with a generic greeting i.e. “Dear employee” (FHDA post everything in PORTAL and not by email)
- Gives out a valid phone number with an extension (FHDA - has no extensions)
- Gives you an option to “unsubscribe” (FHDA – doesn't have “unsubscribe" function)
She asked the IPBT members to share with this information with their areas.
Accreditation Update: Mallory Newell
Newell presented a proposal on behalf of the College Planning Committee that included 3 separate proposals:
1) From now through the site visit in fall 2017, the College Planning Committee will become the Accreditation Steering Committee responsible for:
- Monitoring progress on the self-study report
- Drafting the quality focus essay
- Compiling the self-study reports into one document
- Soliciting feedback from the campus community
- Incorporating the feedback into the final draft
2) Our current shared governance groups will serve as the self-study teams for their respective areas for the duration of the accreditation self-study process. Newell shared the Standards that would be assigned to each governance group.
IPBT is assigned completing the self-study report for II.A – INSTRUCTIONAL PROGRAMS - All instructional programs, regardless of location or means of delivery, including distance education and correspondence education, are offered in fields of study consistent with the institution’s mission, are appropriate to higher education, and culminate in student attainment of identified student learning outcomes, and achievement of degrees, certificates, employment, or transfer to other higher education programs. (ER 9 and ER 11)
3) A timeline for completion of the self-study report was shared: “Accreditation Timeline and Proposed Standards Teams”
Newell gave an in depth review of the Accreditation Overview Winter 2016 PowerPoint. The document provides an overview of the main points, rules, accreditation standards & draft timeline of the Accreditation process.
- There are no longer “Planning Agendas”. Now there are QFEs “Quality focus essay” instead
- The district is a good resource
- The same language to address Standards can be used for both Foothill and De Anza
- DE is Distance Education
- CE is Correspondence Education
- Lorrie Ranck chairs the Distance Learning Advisory Group
- If questions are repetitive rewrite the same answer. Do not leave the answer blank
- Napa College has a good example of its accreditation documents online at
- Equitably for face-to-face students and online learning. Push to be as equivalent as the College can make it
- Use exact language from the Standards to answer the questions
- Ensure links will still work for accreditation URLs in 2017
Espinosa-Pieb notified the team that all materials, handouts will be posted to the IPBT website.
Calendar Planning for Program Review:
After a discussion IPBT came up with a tentative timeline for Program Review documents submission.
- Program Review Documents are due by 5:00 pm from department writers to Division Deans on March 25th, 2016
- Program Review documents are due to Office of Instruction from division deans on April 14th (IPBT to come up with the questions for deans to answer/short statement? Espinosa-Pieb will bring more info next week)
- Programs Review documents will be posted on IPBT website on April 18th
Next IPBT meeting – January 19th, 2016
- Program Review Timeline (Idea for the deans - questions?)
- Randy to Invite Mary Pape to IPBT meeting (to talk about training held in February 4, 10 & 26)
- Instructional Printing Budget