Meeting Notes - January 16, 2018
Administrative Reps: Espinosa-Pieb, Fayek, Lee-Wheat, Ranck, Ray
Classified Reps: Margaret Bdzil, Precious Gerardo, Lorna Maynard
Faculty Reps: Khanna, Leonard, Rick Maynard, Nguyen, Pape, Woodbury
Guests: Randy Bryant, Karen Chow, Mary Kay Englen, Lisa Markus, Brian Murphy, Mallory Newell, Dawn Lee Tu
Absent: Evert, Kandula
Approval of Notes - Notes from the December 5, 2017 meeting were approved.
Wrap up on IPBT Decisions in Fall 2017 -
Chancellor’s Cabinet selected the top 4 from the IPBT approved list. Espinosa-Pieb is hopeful we can get the fifth ranked position (Math) as well. In terms of credit, we are only going to get the backfill amount, but that is another area we are seeking clarity on.
Murphy said that according to Kevin McElroy full credit will be only given if the position goes permanently off list. Those decisions would have to be made in consultation happen in conversation with IPBT and with those divisions/departments.
One piece of good news is that because we canceled early and deans and areas worked hard over break to help displaced students find new sections, our net loss was only 68 students in Winter.
Feedback on Process of Considering Requests in Fall:
One change going forward can be to list one item under several budgets to reduce confusion for us as an IPBT. Other comments include:
- Good to have one form to allow us to look at all requests at once.
- For Strong Workforce, we have several forms. If we can streamline this, it can reduce confusion.
- We need to emphasize to areas that they need to include their requests in Program Reviews or they will not be considered
- What about needs that come up after Program Review and that are not predictable? Espinosa-Pieb explained we have a process by which areas can make requests and come to IPBT to explain their situation if such needs arise.
- Emphasized need of having departments meet and have official minutes for auditing purposes.
- Pape shared how she enabled TracDat to allow for requests to be submitted as well as to review submitted requests from all areas on campus.
Annual Program Review Calendar Approval -
Lee-Wheat suggested the calendar for the following Program Review activities:
- Convocation: Friday, March 2, 2018
- APRU due date for Departments to the Deans: Friday, March 23, 2018
- APRU suggestions by Deans to Department Chairs: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 (First week of Spring Quarter)
- APRUs and Dean's Statements due to Office of Instruction Friday, April 13, 2018 (First week of Spring Quarter)
Motion by Khanna, second by Woodbury. Motion approved by the body.
Bdzil commented that Perkins funds is mid-may deadline for the fiscal year beginning June 1. We are in arrears but catching up for 18-19 year and will be in sync this summer. We can retroactively transfer.
Update on Budget, Enrollment -
We are down about 8.6% from last Winter. We need instructors to update and check rosters the first two weeks, we can lose money if we don’t manage the rosters actively the first two weeks.
We did save $1.1 million from canceling 149 sections. We tried very hard to keep as many classes as possible. Hard work to contact students affected and try to help them move into a different section. In canceled sections, 1055 students affected, all came back except for 68 of those students.
Short-term and late start class – Espinosa-Pieb wants to show fill rates from departments and she is very excited about potentially offering those. Dual enrollments – Fremont High. 10 students in a seat count of 50. But other FUHSD schools are pretty full. So overall positive. Perhaps we can introduce a different course to Fremont High to boost enrollment.
Issues we will continue to discuss include re-basing our funding based on a lower average student enrollment, the Governor’s new budget and formulation on how to fund community colleges.
Adjourn: 5:08 pm