Meeting Notes - May 2, 2017
Christina Espinosa-Pieb – Chair
James Nguyen – Chair
Administrative Reps: Bryant, Espinosa-Pieb, Kandula, Lee-Wheat, Ranck, Ray
Classified Reps: Martinez, Lorna Maynard, Trosper
Faculty Reps: Khanna, Leonard, Markus, Rick Maynard, Nguyen, Woodbury
Visitors: Margaret Bdzil, Judith Clavijo, Sherri Cozzens, Catherine Hrycyk, Mallory Newell, Particia Williams.
Absent: Coriena Andy, Arya Suprora
Notes Approval – The notes from April 25, 2017 were approved.
Nursing Program Emergency Presentation –
Anita Kandula, presented, De Anza Nursing program In Crisis, power point. As of today, the nursing program has a serious shortage in staff due to recent retirements and resignations. Each nursing position is unique and it is difficult to find replacement part-time instructors. Also, the load is so heavy. For example, they need to hire 3 p/t instructors to replacement one f/t instructor.
The Nursing department asked for IPBT’s approval to hire two nursing faculty. The program won’t be viable without these replacements.
After a brief conversation, and considering the program’s impressive student statistics, the committee unanimously approved the immediate hire of two faculty-nurses.
IPBT members said that this was a good example of how important and successful the CTE programs are. CTE programs and certificates need to be advertised more so potential students know what we are offering at De Anza.
Espinosa-Pieb assured the committee that these two advanced positions in spring wouldn’t affect IPBT’s regular faculty hiring cycle in fall.
Perkins Funding Emergency Approval Requirement -
Margaret Bdzil presented two items pertaining to De Anza CTE programs 2017-18 requests for Perkins IC Federal funds that will be posted to the IPBT website.
The first was an Excel spreadsheet Perkins IC 2017 - 2018 CTE Program Requests with a snapshot of all Perkins IC requests for 2017-18.
The second document was a consolidated workbook that included the detail for each program's request. Perkins Application Budget Summary.
Although the 2017-18 Perkins IC allocation figures had not yet been released, the
CCC Chancellor's Office recommended using the 2016-17 allocation as a baseline: $376,612.
The total in requests for 2017-18 exceeds the projected allocation by $9,087.
Bdzil asked the committee for feedback on the next steps in order for these requests to be presented to IPBT for their consideration and approval.
- The 2017-18 Perkins IC application is due on May 15, so the decision for 2017-2018 Perkins budget needs to be made by next week.
- Bdzil would have to do an application and submit it before we can get the funds (after next week).
- Decision needs to be made by next meeting.
- Espinosa-Pieb requested the information in advance so the committee could be more thoughtful and have more time to assess the programs to see which one are successful i.e. getting job placement, getting certificates, awards & etc.
- Perkins fund only covers 3-years ongoing expenses requests.
- If extra money left over by the end of the year – Purchasing Requisitions could be opened to the programs.
- Perkins funds has strict parameters, but IPBT is not familiar with them.
- CTE programs need to do their own separate program review.
- Work on the planning process and incorporate into program review.
- Do it as a program review? Advantage to the programs that are successfully spending the money and moving us along?
- Espinosa-Pieb asked the members who get use Perkins funds to remind the IPBT about the process.
- Perkins funds need to be spent by June 30th .
- The members approved Bdzil to continue working directly with the programs.
- Bring Perkins 2017-18 item to the next meeting.