Mission Statement - De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning
environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities;
to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities,
the nation and the world. The college engages students in creative work that demonstrates
the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college’s Institutional Core Competencies:
• Communication and expression
• Information literacy
• Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
• Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental justice
• Critical thinking — Updated Spring 2014
Meeting Notes - March 19, 2015
Attending: Burgos, Claros, Cook (co-chair), Glapion (co-chair), Kirkpatrick, LeBleu-Burns, Madden, Mandy, Robles, Shears
Guests: Virginia Marquez, Lorrie Ranck, Marisa Spatafore
There were no amendments to the agenda and one made to the notes.
Student Equity Funding Criteria Proposals
At the next meeting members will present proposals followed by discussions on how to spend the Equity Funding. The deadline has been extended to December 2015.
Online Orientation Update
The team has received 5 proposals so far and they all pretty much follow the same formula. They are very generic and not very engaging. We are looking for multimedia modules, about eleven modules total.
- The team has brought in many different creative ideas, thoughts, and possibilities to the table to assist in the development of the orientation.
- The Office of Communications is in the process of hiring a multimedia producer and the orientation will be their primary project when hired.
- The team has not excluded working with a firm on the orientation project.
- Components of the orientation need to adaptable to the different departments and student
- The orientation will be shown and vetted to help achieve this goal.
- The team is looking for a plug-in/channel to the MyPortal account and Banner so viewing will be automatically tracked.
Will it be accessible for the DSPS student population? Yes, this was part of the initial software requirements and can be reviewed by DSPS.
Will the orientation be able to work with the new Clockwork software? They should be able to work together using Banner.
Program Review – Financial Aid
- Mandy will be working on a mission statement for the department.
- In Part 3, Mandy wanted to focus on the accreditation standards since they had
been overlooked before.
- In regards to the comment that some colleges have classes on Financial Aid, maybe
we can do more workshops and advertising to inform students.
- Overall, include more data and details. Incorporate information that was received from Mallory and some that have obtained from your own spreadsheets.
- Bring in some of the Equity elements. Check and analyze the data to see where we are
not bringing students in or failing to connect.
- How are the new policies affecting our services?
This review and discussion will continue further in another meeting.
A2MEND Conference Updates
Conference was held in Los Angeles with both Mieso and Glapion attending this year.
The conference has grown in participants from previous years.
- Very student oriented
- Good review of the different models being used
- Addressed the many challenges and barriers
- Good area for discussions
Suggestion: Maybe bring students to next year’s conference.
Review Updated Enrollment Priority Form
Updates were reviewed and approved.
Updates from Teams
Updates were postponed due to meeting running over scheduled time.