Sunken Garden

Technology Committee

Meeting Notes - May 4, 2017

Present: Cheu, Hansen, Harrell, Hernandez, Hui, King, Krueger-Gilka, Luciw, Owiesny, Pape, Ranck

Introductions/Approval of Minutes

Members of the Technology Committee provided self-introductions and the minutes of March 2, 2017, were approved.

Current Lab Accessibility Project

Luciw and Stacey Shears are working with a group to make sure there are a correct percentage of lab computers having the accessibility software. In the beginning stages, the college and ETS will conduct site surveys. They will also be putting together standards for different size labs and working with Tina Lockwood on furniture for the labs.

Standing information update

  • ETS Project Scheduling
    • Cheu shared that ETS meetings have been productive. They will bring more updates to the next meeting.
    • Online Education Advisory Group
      • Ranck and King said that online groups are meeting this quarter, with 230 faculty members Canvas certified and another 100 in progress. The college is on target to completely transfer to Canvas from Catalyst as of the beginning of summer session.
      • ETS (including De Anza wireless issues)
        • Luciw explained that wireless has been slower lately because the usage has gone up. They’ve identified a few users with very high network utilization and for the first time reached out to them to get more information about their usage. The current bandwidth is 1 gig; the new router will allow 10 gigs. The first testing, which should be done in the next 30 days, will be conducted at Foothill, where there is less risk as De Anza houses SIS system.
          • Comments: King suggested Friday morning would be the best time of the week to switch networks. Students with online classes will be least affected by the downtime at this particular time.
  • The Jabber application will be implemented on faculty, staff, and administrator cell phones to call into classrooms on campus. Fax server and self-care portal still need to be introduced for the phone systems.
  • Comments: Hansen asked about his emails bouncing back with an error message stating that he’s sending it from a website with malware. The group discussed email spam and how to be proactive against malware. Luciw suggested that everyone uses a scan to detect and eliminate malware.
  • Banner Student
    • Students have been asking for email addresses. Hernandez reinforced that on an on-demand basis rather than at enrollment.
    • ePrintit has a new vendor and will have a newly designed interface beginning Monday, May 15. Committee members, some of who didn’t know about this change, discussed the importance of making sure students know about it. There will be instructions next to every ePrintit station with information for logging in.
    • Comments: There was a discussion about how Office 360 is not offered to students and how some students are upset about that. Hernandez will look into the status of this issue -- it has been discussed in other meetings.

Further updates on Tech Plan implementation

            Goal 1: The revised goal for the new website is winter 2018, in view of accreditation and other issues.

            Harrell showed the syllabus upload site he has developed in discussion with Ranck. As of now faculty can’t upload to the site but he is working with King on how faculty syllabi will be uploaded with assurance that someone else can’t change them. Online Ed has already started using it with Jenny Vela handling uploading.

Accreditation Presentation

            Newell shared background information and updates to the accreditation process.

  • Highlights for report
    • Six year integrated planning and resource allocation
    • Accredited by ACCJC. Accreditation is a peer review process to ensure overall educational quality and institutional effectiveness, provides assurance that we’re meeting requirements and to receive financial aid.
    • Important dates for current accreditation: Document release on May 12, feedback open until May 30, Town Hall meeting on May 18, site visit October 9-12
    • Six action plans around improvements
      • Work towards achieving six identified institutional metrics in order to meet the education master plan goal by 2020.
      • Increase training for institutional planning
      • Continue the college’s commitment to student learning outcomes work at all levels
      • Continue to advance the college’s commitment to equity
      • Improve the dissemination of information from the planning and budget teams
      • Improve coordination between the PBTs
      • Embedding action plans into action projects
        • Action projects
          • Student equity
          • Integrated planning and communication
          • Next steps
            • Send out email on the 12th, schedule time for an online discussion for any feedback
            • Presentation available at: http://www.deanza.edu/accreditation/2017/index.html

Comments: King shared that Online Ed needs to re-do their website but can’t delete mentions of catalyst because it’s linked to the accreditation document. Harrell gave a suggestion and will work with King to make the changes without disrupting the links.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Technology Committee
Building: ADM 109
Contact: Vanessa Smith
Phone: 408.864.8948
sizeplaceholder


Last Updated: 6/29/17