Sunken Garden

Technology Committee

Technology Committee Notes - May 5, 2016

Present: Cheu, Fayek, Harrell, King, Lakshmanan, Pape, Ranck, Shannakian, Spatafore; Faris Waiteasa (DASB); Vanessa Smith (notes) 

Review of April 13 Minutes

No changes to the minutes. 

Introductions
The group introduced themselves, including student representative Waiteasa. 

Review of Tech Accreditation Matrix

The group reviewed the matrix and Pape encouraged everyone to take the tech survey. The survey closes Monday, May 9. Spatafore will send a reminder. Pape commented that the survey was straightforward and people are able to put in their opinions. It only takes about 10 minutes to complete. 

Spatafore asked for comments on the matrix. Dates on the timeline are coming up quickly. Spatafore said there needs to be a narrative around the links provided. Pape asked Ranck about links for her sections. Ranck said there might be some links to curriculum documents. Spatafore said they could mention the Canvas exploration. Ranck agreed.

Spatafore explained the accreditation process to Waiteasa. She noted that Standard III.C.4 Q3 can be answered by putting in King’s hire. Pape said they did try a class through DARE to assist students in being prepared for online courses. Would it be appropriate to include that in the standard? Ranck said there is a student resources page with readiness materials. Spatafore noted the catalog also includes information to help students assess whether online courses would work well for them. Ranck said she would include that link. 

Spatafore said the group is off to a good start. 

Tech Survey

Spatafore said #6 is the only question borrowed from Foothill, as the Technology Committee upon first review, and further editing, indicated that other questions , and more open-ended questions, would be more useful for De Anza’s technology planning. The survey was not distributed as early as initially planned, so results will be provided by Institutional Research around May 16 or 17. Spatafore will forward to committee members when available. 

Tech Plan

The group re-reviewed the outline. Spatafore asked what sections members are most interested in contributing to; others not present at the meeting will be asssinged sections clearly belonging to them. Pape said #5 could be the last piece added. 

Accreditation Plan Timeline

Spatafore went over the timeline for accreditation. Dates are not set in stone but there isn’t much wiggle room. Spatafore asked if dates seem doable. By September, Vanessa and Marisa will get edits in good form back to the group. Cheu said it’s an aggressive but doable plan. Spatafore said the group is basically on track for accreditation. The tech plan will be for three years. 

Spatafore will do 1A in consultation with King and Ranck. Pape volunteered for 2A with assistance from King. Spatafore said 4 is so broad that it can be a discussion item for the next meeting. Pape asked if the group can have a shared word document to work on. Harrell will set up the document in Office 365. 

Standing Information Updates

ETS Project Scheduling Subcommittee

Cheu said her group met April 1 and 22. Foothill’s Sunnyvale Education Center is coming online in fall and ETS has allotted most of its time to that. The multimedia in the pipeline will be it for new projects until fall. 

Virtualization of class labs is going well. May 9 is the deadline for 15/16 requisitions. 

Spatafore said minutes should be sent for posting. 

Online Education Advisory Group

Ranck said OEI group has not met since last quarter. They discussed the footnoting system. Spatafore asked if it was in ECMS. Ranck said yes. The footnotes can be confusing for online students so they’re looking to simplify. Ranck said they’re also moving away from Delta because it’s a very manual process to display online classes. The orientation for online students is also very outdated so Jenny Vela and King are working on a new one. 

The group is discussing the potential move from Catalyst to Canvas. Forums will be scheduled, recorded and availalble online. 

ETAC

Spatafore said the last ETAC meeting was brief. Foothill is finished with their tech plan but has not finished the accreditation piece. 

ETS

Luciw reiterated that ETS is busy bringing the Sunnyvale Education Center online. In June, Luciw will coordinate with King to set up times for people to test the new phone system. Fayek asked if people will be able to get calls from anywhere. Luciw said wireless is not set up for that so calls will drop out. They haven’t gone through all the design elements yet. Shannakian asked which company was selected. Luciw said AMS.net, a Cisco system. It needs to be fast-tracked because of recent issues with the phones at Foothill. She described the departmental phone-type selection process. 

Banner Student

Spatafore asked Harrell for an update. The Banner group is testing Zoom for online counseling. Fayek learned there’s another tool and some places are already using it.  He added that one thing Banner doesn’t do is notify students when they complete a certificate. He’s trying to get A&R to put something together so students will know. He said that could significantly boost the number of certificates awarded. Many degrees – almost every one – have an embedded certificate in it. He hopes to have something in place by June 30. 

Fayek said many students transfer with an A.A. degree and are excited that they can also get certificates based on their coursework. He would expect more than 500 additional certificates. Pape said it would be significant if students can see they’re almost there. 

Other Updates

Spatafore announced there are no more Manila faculty websites, thanks to the work of Harrell, Larry Ching and Heidi King. Fayek said King has been very helpful to his division and she just finished a project for Auto Tech. Fayek commented on a division’s website that has old, dead links. Harrell said that at the district last week they were looking at additions to OU that will automatically check links, spelling, etc. and send reports. Whether the district gets it depends on pricing.



Technology Committee
Building: ADM 109
Contact: Vanessa Smith
Phone: 408.864.8948
sizeplaceholder


Last Updated: 6/8/16