Two students 

AB540 Guide
for Undocumented Immigrant Students

An undocumented person is a non-citizen who entered the United States without legal immigration status or who stayed after the period she or he was authorized to be here.

YES, if you are an undocumented student you can go to any college or university in California as long as you are admitted/accepted. To avoid paying out-of-state tuition, you must meet the AB540 requirements.

In order to qualify for in-state tuition (at a public California college or university) under AB540, you must:

  1. Complete 3 years of high school in California
  2. Graduate or obtain the equivalent of a high school diploma
  3. Complete an AB540 affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) at the college/university that you will attend stating that you meet AB540 eligibility requirements. Non-resident students are required to pay “out-of-state” or “non-resident” tuition fees to attend California’s public colleges and universities. These fees are much higher.

Do you quality for AB540 status?

  1. Complete the De Anza College admission application.
  2. Go to the Registration forms page to download the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request (AB540) form.
  3. Fill out, print and submit the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request (AB540) Form to the Admissions and Records Office in the Registration & Student Services Building.
  4. If you have questions about applying for admission as an AB540 student, email Barry Johnson at in the Admissions and Records office.

PDF icon De Anza College Your Guide: AB540 Guide for Undocumented Immigrant Students
Download Your Guide Version

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540)

from other California public colleges and universities

Read about the procedures for applying for the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540) at other public colleges and universities in California, including California Community Colleges, University of California and California State University.

Financial Aid for Undocumented AB540 Students

All De Anza students are eligible to apply for scholarships regardless of status. Search for current scholarships and apply online at Please contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions.

To find more information about what aid is available for undocumented AB540 students please refer to The California Dream Act on the De Anza College Financial Aid website.

Higher Education for AB540 Students (HEFAS)

Higher Education for AB540 Students (HEFAS) at De Anza College is an institutional and educational program that will provide resources, reduce financial stress, and create a safe learning environment for all students with an emphasis on undocumented/AB540 information. It implements a book loan program, peer advisors, and free access to resources. HEFAS is dedicated to empowering students, building leadership skills, promoting social justice, and advocating for higher education. 

Undocumented Students: Click here for more information, resources and videos about undocumented students at De Anza


Building: Seminar (SEM 3)
Contact: Outreach
Phone: 408.864.8327

Hours:  M-F 8:30am-4:30pm 


Last Updated: 5/15/17