Getting started with the
THREE-time State Champions!
Read about the 2022 team -
Above: 2022-23 team in San Diego
How to Join the Team
We have nearly year-round play available IN THE GYM -- In Summer 2022, we'll have our Badminton Techniques class (PE32B CRN 13263) running Monday & Wednesday evenings at 7:30 PM, preceded by Strength Development Class (PE 4XX CRN 13422) during the August 8 - September 15th session.
All athletes take Orientation to Athletics and there is a special section for Winter and Spring athletes conducted in September on the week before the Fall Quarter starts. (PE 99, CRN 13304) Mon - Tues, Sept. 12-14 (SUMMER SCHEDULE CLASS).
For Fall 2022 Priority registration as a Student-Athlete, enroll in the Summer PE 32B, PE 4XX and contact Coach Mark (firstname.lastname@example.org) ASAP.
During the Fall quarter, the team will meet in the Badminton Techniques class, PE 32B, scheduled for Fridays & Sundays at 3:30 - 6:30 PM and Wednesdays days at 6:30 - 9:30 PM. The class ID number is (CRN 27353) and it will appear in the Fall schedule of classes). Team candidates should be attending at least two workouts each week -- each will last 90 -180 minutes, depending on how much we play. In order to participate in any intercollegiate competition, athletes must complete a pre-participation physical. We expect that physicals will occur at 1 PM on Thursday, Sept. 22. Subsequent physicals shoudl be coordinated with the Athletic Trainers. More details will be sent to those enrolled in Badminton Techniques prior to the first week of the Fall Quarter. We expect to compete in the Fall Non-Tradtional Season against regional competition.
First-Time intercollegiate athletes (freshman and transfers) will take PE 99 - Orientation to Athletics, 1 unit class conducted over 2-4 days and is conducted once on the week prior to the start of the Fall Quarter (CRN: 13304 in the SUMMER session), or in week 3 or 4 of the Winter quarter (CRN: TBA) which requires some accommodation of afternoon classes in the Winter Quarter. (Enroll in the September PE 99 session for fewer conflicts).
For the Winter Quarter enroll in Intercollegiate Badminton P E -038W (CRN: TBA) and Coach Mark will distribute the specific training schedule in December. Contact Coach Mark for more information.
In the Winter quarter the team trains 2-4 days per week, ( Mon, Tue, Wed & Thu 12 - 2 PM; Fri 1 - 3:30 PM). Training frequency will increase as the competition schedule approaches.
Scrimmages and pre-season tournaments commence in February with tournament play in San Diego, the Spring Break trip to Southern California and Coast Conference play running mid-March through early May. The State Championships are the second weekend of May at San Diego City College.
Academic Requirements: Full-time student status (min 9 academic units and 3 units of the intercollegiate women's badminton course for a total of at least 12 quarter units during the competitive season -- Winter quarter, 10.5 academic and 1.5 intercollegiate badminton in Spring quarter). Freshman or first-time competitors do not have a unit requirement for the Fall, but they should earn at least a 2.0 GPA in all work attempted. Sophomores or students who wish to compete for a second season must have completed 36 academic units from Winter quarter through the quarter prior to your second season of competition. Athletes must maintain at least a 2.0 grade average. Our academic counselor, Louise Madrigal (email@example.com) can help you with more details in this area. Just call 408.864.5842.
Athletic Requirements: No previous competitive badminton experience is required to join the intercollegiate badminton class and try out for the team. All interested athletes are encouraged to register in the Fall course and join in the training. The traveling team will be based on student's ability and commitment to building a successful team. New participants in Winter Quarter are subject to an evaluation.
If you have other questions, please contact Coach Mark at 408-864-8541 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer Session -- Badminton Techniques (PE 32B, CRN 13263), Strength Development (PE 4XX, CRN 13422) Mon/Wed evenings at 5:30 PM starting August 9th.
- Orientation to Athletics -- (PE 99, CRN 13304) Mon - Tues, Sept. 19-20 (SUMMER SESSION in SCHEDULE OF CLASSES).
- First Fall class meeting, Wednesday, September 28th at 6:30 PM, in PE21 (Main gym) -- PE 32BX WOMEN'S Badminton Techniques, (CRN 27353), Fri/Sun afternoons, Wednesday evening
- Fall Quarter Week 1-2, (TBA) Pre-Physical exams to be arranged with trainers -- bring paper copy of Health Insurance card. This is necessary for any Fall competition (scrimmages).
Winter Quarter 2023:
- PE 38W -- Women's Intercollegiate Badminton (CRN 37736), training Mon 12 Noon to 2:30 PM, Wed at 6:30 PM and Fridays at 1 PM (get calendar from Coach Mark). Sunday training to be added in March.
- Winter Quarter Week 1, (TBA) Pre-Physical exams to be arranged with trainers if not completed in the Fall -- bring paper copy of Health Insurance card.
- PE 99: Orientation to Athletics (PE 99, TBA); Mon-Thu, Jan 23 - Fri Jan 27, appx 3:30 PM - 6:30 PM on Mon-Thu, 9:30 AM - 12: 30 PM Friday)
- Competitions: Scrimmages and Tournament play begin in February 2023 and Coast Conference play starts in March (Tue/Thur afternoon matches) through Coast Conference and CCCAA State Championships in mid-May.