Online ResourcesThe De Anza College Title IX team is here to support students, faculty and staff members – even while we're not on campus during the 2022 winter quarter. Here are some online resources that are available to you.
What is Title IX?
Title IX is a federal law that prohibits sex- or gender-based discrimination, harassment or assault in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial funding. this includes employment, academic, educational, extracurricular and athletic activities. The law, which has been in effect since 1972, includes provisions that
- Protect all people – regardless of their gender or gender identity – from sex- or gender-based discrimination, harassment or violence
- Require institutions to take necessary steps to prevent sex- or gender-based discrimination, harassment or assault on their campuses, and to respond promptly and effectively when an issue is reported.
De Anza is committed to creating and sustaining a safe educational and working environment.
If you have been sexually assaulted
- Take steps for your own safety: Go to a safe place and consider contacting a friend or relative.
- Don't hesitate to seek medical attention.
- You may choose to go to the hospital or Student Health Services if the assault occurred on campus.
- The Student Health Services office may refer you to obtain testing for sexually transmitted infections and emergency contraception.
- If the sexual assault happened within the previous 72 hours, you may choose to have an evidentiary exam in order to collect evidence of the assault.
- Consider contacting the college police or other authorities.
- Remember that sexual assault is never the fault of the person who is assaulted.
If you have experienced any other form of sex- or gender-based harassment or discrimination
- Start with a review of your options for filing an informal or formal complaint under Title IX.
- See the Title IX Contacts webpage for information about the De Anza College Title IX coordinator and other contacts.