October 2, 2014
Admin #109 3:30 – 4:30 pm
Attending: Bryant, Cheu, Cook, Cruz, Espinosa-Pieb, Fayek, Hardesty, Malakiman, Markus, Maynard, Murphy, Newell, Reza, Spatafore, Suarez, Tomaneng, Shannakian
Welcome and Introductions
College Council members for the academic year 2014-2015 introduced themselves.
Student Success and Support Program Plan (3SP)
Murphy presented the final draft 3SP report to College Council, invited comments, suggestions and requested approval. Discussion followed and several issues were raised:
- Focus on education plans for new vs. existing students; student athletes
- Identify and follow-up with students without goals
- Motivators for priority registration
- Use/understanding of My Portal Checklist and tools
- Faculty discipline-specific placement tests with movement towards online process
- Template vs. ongoing work (orientation checklist determined by State)
- FA concern regarding the role of counselors and academic advisors
- SSPBT members taking leadership role for 3SP recommendations:
- Assessment – Mieso
- At Risk Students – Burgos
- Counseling/Advising/Ed Plans – LeBleu Burns
- Orientation – Claros
- Tech Support – Mandy
- Practicality: rationalizes the budget. Chancellor’s office to review activities for matching $.
- Exploring different forms of counseling
- Diversity/Multiplicity of students
Action: Cook & SSPBT to schedule meeting with DASB to review 3SP report.
College Council reviewed, discussed and approved the 3SP report with minor editorial changesThe report will be reviewed and approved by the Board of Trustees on Monday, October 6, and forwarded to the State Chancellor’s office by October 17, 2014.
Midterm Accreditation Report
Foothill and De Anza College are on a six-year accreditation cycle and the mid-term reports are due half way through. The reports summarize progress in addressing recommendations made by the evaluation teams that visited in 2010. Our midterm accreditation report has been reviewed by all governance groups and is memorialized at this meeting; it will be sent to the ACCJC on October 13, 2014. Kudos to Newell for her meticulous work in archiving and citing references.
- De Anza Men’s Soccer Team – 3rd best ranking in the nation.
- Apple iPad Pilot Program with Auto Tech for one academic year; a $10,000 savings to students
Action: Reza to develop a Winter Train the Trainer Program for iPads.
- Bicycle Inauguration Program, October 10 @ 11:30 VPAC patio. 20 new bikes are available to students to use (gratis) by quarter.