General Meeting Information
Date: April 27,
Time: 4:00 - 5:00
Location: RSVP - firstname.lastname@example.org
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 4:00 - 4:05 Approval of Notes – April 13, 2021 A Mary Pape 4:05 - 4:10 DASB Report I Dadbhawala/Eloy/Lim/Sharma 4:10 - 4:15 Report out from College Council meeting of 4/22/2021 I/D Espinosa-Pieb, King, Pape 4:15 - 5:00
Distribute and Discuss Workbook for prioritizing the remaining six positions
I/D Espinosa-Pieb, King, Pape
A = Action D = Discussion I = Information
Heidi King – Co-Chair
Mary Pape, Co-Chair
IPBT meeting – April 27, 2021
Tri-chairs: Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb, Mary Pape, Heidi King
Administrative reps: Sam Bliss, Randy Bryant, Alicia Cortez, Christina Espinosa-Pieb, Anita Muthyala-Kandula, Thomas Ray
Classified reps: Thomas Bailey, Christiana Kaleialii, Heidi King, Lorna Maynard
Faculty reps: Mayra Cruz, DuJuan Green, Terrence Mullens, Mary Pape, Salvador Guerrero, Daniel Solomon, Mark Landefeld
Student reps: Luiza Eloy, Grace Lim
Affinity Group Representatives:
Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators (BFSA): Pauline Wethington
The Asian Pacific American Staff Association (APASA): Christine Chai, Khoa Nguyen
De Anza Latinx Association (DALA): Eric Mendoza, Felisa Vilaubi
Absent: Arushi Sharma, Esha Dadbhawala, Melinda Hughes, Lorrie Ranck
Guests: Lisa Markus, Vins Chacko, Daniel Smith, Francesca Caparas, Sharon Utomo (DASB), Susan Ho, Karen Chow, Elvin Ramos, Anu Khanna, Dawn Lee, Moaty Fayek, Claudia Guzman, joandra teja, Nitya Peumans, Erik Woodbury
Approval of Notes for April 20, 2021 Meeting: Notes were approved with updates.
De Anza Student Government (DASG): Plans for Spring include a Town Hall. DASG is transitioning to Microsoft team to build institutional history last week at the Senate. Discussed a resolution to define and condemn Anti-Semitism. This resolution attracted a lot of students from and outside De Anza college. DASG would like to discuss it at the future.
Report out from College Council meeting of 4/22/2021: College Council approved all nine positions that IPBT recommended for hiring:
- Asian American Studies Instructor
- Chicanx/Latinx Studies
- 2- Counselor English Performance Success (EPS)
- Faculty Director Equity Office
- Head Football Coach/Fast Coordinator
- IMPACT/AAPI Counselor/Coordinator
- Librarian – Multicultural Resource Specialist
- Math Performance Success (MPS) Instructor
IPBT acknowledged that the process was not perfect by any means. It is a work in progress. College Council’s decision to approve all nine positions was unanimous.
Distribute and Discuss Workbook for prioritizing the remaining six positions: Heidi shared the IPBT Workbook first presented on March 23, 2021 but now updated with a tab for each of the six remaining positions to be prioritized.
Those six positions are
- Environmental Science
- Film/TV specialization Animation
- Film/TV specialization Production
- English Writing
Two of the positions will be recommended to College Council for hiring. Qualitative and quantitative data for the decision-making process can be found on IPBT Faculty Hire page of DA website.
IPBT members were asked for suggestions on ways to provide more support for this prioritization process. Suggestions included: ·
- Check the data in Hiring Data/Ranking for 2021-2022 for accuracy. Data concerning the two positions for Film/TV is not helpful in comparing the two positions requested from that department. Film/TV is one department and there are no separate departments for Production and Animation. Perhaps some breakdown of this data could be done.
- With equity-mindedness being our main focus, members expressed a desire for data showing the diversity of faculty based on demographics such as ethnicity and gender for each department separately.
- It might be helpful if the four Deans with positions on the list attend our decision-making meetings.
- Include time for breakout rooms by constituencies for the next meeting to guarantee that all groups have a chance to discuss their viewpoints with each other.
- Randy Bryant and Moaty Fayek offered their respective office hours for members to stop by and discuss this prioritization of position decision. (Randy: Wednesdays 1:00 – 2:00 pm; Moaty: MTWRF 9:00 – 10:00 am.)