General Meeting Information
Date: March 1,
Time: 4:00 - 5:00
Location: RSVP - firstname.lastname@example.org
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 4:00 - 4:05 Approval of Notes – February 22, 2022 I/D/A Mary Pape 4:05 - 4:10 DASG Report I/D Chamraj, Syed 4:10 - 4:20 Approximate date when Program Review is due to Deans D/A Pape 4:20 - 5:00 Funds Made Available by Faculty Retirement I/D/A Espinosa-Pieb/Pape
A = Action D = Discussion I = Information
Co-Chair Randy Bryant Lydia Hearn Sam Bliss Alicia Cortez Anita Muthyala-Kandula Thomas Ray
– Co-Chair Margaret Bdzil TBD Classified Thomas Bailey Mary Pape, Co-Chair Patricia Carobus Ilan Glasman Salvador Guerrero Alicia Mullens Daniel Solomon Andrew Stoddard Anita Chamraj Fiza Syed TBD (non-DASG student representative) TBD (non-DASG student representative) BFSA: Melinda Hughes Pauline WethingtonAPASA: Christine Chai Khoa Nguyen
Eric Mendoza Felisa Vilaubi
IPBT Notes for March 1, 2022
Tri-chairs: Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb, Mary Pape
Administrative reps: Sam Bliss, Randy Bryant, Alicia Cortez, Christina G. Espinosa-Pieb, Lydia Hearn, Anita Muthyala-Kandula, Thomas Ray
Classified reps: Thomas Bailey, Margaret Bdzil, Lorna Maynard
Faculty reps: Pati Carobus, Ilan Glasman, Salvador Guerrero, Alicia Mullens, Mary Pape, Daniel Solomon, Andrew Stoddard
Student reps: Anita Chamraj
Affinity Group Representatives:
Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators (BFSA):Pauline Wethington
The Asian Pacific American Staff Association (APASA): Christine Chai, Khoa Nguyen
De Anza Latinx Association (DALA): Eric Mendoza, Felisa Vilaubi
Absent: Melinda Hughes, Fiza Syed
Guests: Yvette Campbell, Karen Chow, Carol Cini, Vins Chacko, Moaty Fayek, Norma Guido, Debbie Lee, So Kam Lee, Scott Olsen, Lisa Ly, Lisa Markus, Jim Nguyen, Elvin T. Ramos, Tim Shively, Daniel Smith, Sharon Utomo, James Tallent, Erik Woodbury
Approval of Notes –February 22, 2022: With update to attendance section, notes were approved.
DASG Report: Anita reported that De Anza Student Government (DASG) Senate voted (as stipulated by Assembly Bill 361) to continue meeting online for the remainder of Winter 2022. DASG is tentatively planning a collaboration with Active Minds on Campus, a mental health organization on campus. Discussed changing DASG logo, but decided to keep it the same. Budget Fund 41 was approved in second vote. Thus, budgets for both Fund 41 and Fund 46 are now officially approved for 2022-23.
Date Program Review is due to Deans: Mary emphasized that the plan for each department should be to work on Program Review document together on April 5th flex day. The completed document is due to Division Dean on Friday, May 6th, 2022.
Funds Made Available by Faculty Retirements: Request under discussion is to fund Administrative Dean and one more Instructional Designer for Online Education from monies that came from four faculty retirements.
- Request for a space to be provided for those who are currently working in the office of online ed to express what their needs are to be a sustainable and supported office. Lydia will invite them to the next IPBT meeting.
- A suggestion to establish balance was to invite the chairs or other representatives of the departments that would be most impacted if we went down the list. IPBT would then hear those needs, too. It was noted some huge departments only have ONE full-time faculty member.
- Lisa chatted that faculty have given up 10 faculty positions this year. Moaty chatted if these four retirement positions are assigned to DE, these 4 positions should be the next to hire once funding is available.
- Mentioned was the caveat that faculty cannot oversee classified professionals. Thus, this is one of the reasons for needing an administrator for online education.
- Will expanding online education be part of the strategic plan?
- Christina reminded that there is no other pot of money to draw from to support these Online Education positions at this time. One idea was to fund these positions with one-time monies on an annual basis. Upon restructuring of shared governance and completion of strategic plan, then funds would be allocated on a permanent basis.
- College Council recommended to the President of the College to look for areas where he could find funds to fully support the online Education. A no vote from IPBT would be stating to find the funds elsewhere.